The Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Management is a 6 month program that delves into the fundamental aspects of management applied to sport, offering knowledge and experiences that will help you in your development as a sports professional.
The main objective of the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Management is to educate you to become a sport management professional and provide you with the appropriate tools to apply your knowledge in strategic, financial, sport facility and human resources management.
- To understand and apply strategic, global and objective vision to the sports industry from a business perspective.
- To create new market opportunities by applying an entrepreneurial spirit and a culture inclined towards innovation in sport organizations.
- To use the most innovative practices in sport marketing and be more effective in brand strategy and sponsorship execution.
- To detect the key factors to lead professional teams and obtain the best results.
- To interpret the financial statements of a sports organization and create financial strategies for new products and businesses.
- To optimize the management of a sport facility and sport event.
You have the option of studying the modules separately as short, specialized courses. This way, you can earn credits to obtain the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Management. You can also obtain the Master in Sport Management (60 ECTS) by completing this program, the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Marketing (27 ECTS), an elective module and the Master’s final project within a maximum period of 3 years from the start of the first module.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Management at the Johan Cruyff Institute is for you if:
- You’re an (ex-) athlete who is looking for academic education in management to give your professional career a boost.
- You have know-how in the sport management sector and need to formalize your work experience with a degree.
- You wish to complete your education with a postgraduate diploma specializing in sport management to create a future for yourself in the sports industry.
Those who have completed this Postgraduate Diploma are currently working in the areas of:
- Sports Competition (professional sports teams and event organizers)
- Governance (sports federations and associations)
- Sports Facilities and Events (tournament organizers, sports clubs)
- Community Sports (foundations, municipalities)
- Sports Consulting (private business initiatives)
- Sports Journalism (media)
- Marketing and Sponsorship (private and public companies)
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTSTo be admitted, you must meet one of the following requirements:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree, diploma or equivalent.
- Have 3 years experience in the field of sport management.
- Have developed a career as a professional athlete.
ADMISSION PROCEDUREPlease complete the pre-enrollment form if you are interested in studying this program. Your form will be submitted to the Admissions Committee, which will evaluate if your achievements as well as your aspirations and motivations in pursuing this degree, are in line with the objectives of the program. The admission procedure may include a personal interview with the program manager. One of our academic consultants will contact you within 72 hours.
The program consists of 4 modules that cover all key areas of sport management. Each module has a number of teaching units (UD) and each one consists of a continuous assessment test, in which you interactively apply theory, complemented with solving exercises and practical cases.
STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT OF SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS
- The definition of strategy
- Strategic planning
- Analysis of the sector
- Management strategies
- Company’s vision based on resources
- Creating a sustainable competitive advantage
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT IN SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS
- Interpretation of financial reports
- Analysis of financial statements
- Investments and business assessment
- Pricing strategy and sales
- Liability, performance & profitability
- Financial strategy
- Stocks, outsourcing & risk management
- Financial planning & capital
MANAGEMENT, INNOVATION & LEADERSHIP IN SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS
- Innovative business
- Management model and value creation
- Project management
- Leadership styles
- Managing people and processes
- Talent development
- Expanding the business: A generation of change
- Social entrepreneurship
- Marketing vs. sport marketing
- Principles of marketing
- Sports market research
- Consumer behavior
- Sports marketing strategies and plans
- International sport marketing
- Brand development
- Advertising and communication in sports
- The future of sports
ACADEMIC DEGREEPostgraduate Diploma in Sport Management from the Johan Cruyff Institute.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Management puts you at the center of your education through a learning by doing methodology. We encourage collaborative work and transfer the content to specific situations in sport marketing and sponsorship (connective teaching methodologies and social constructivism). Our faculty of expert professors and tutors will guide you in the learning process, providing high quality training combined with the flexibility of online study.
PERSONALIZED TUTORINGWe will assign you a personal tutor, who will be monitoring your pace of study, adapting it to your work and/or sports schedule. At the beginning of the course you’ll create a tutorial action plan together. The tutor will make an assessment of your background, professional experience in the sector, availability and dedication to the course, and will also be responsible in guiding you in your study process, supporting you throughout the program.
Communication and queries will be handled by:
- E-mail: reply within a maximum of 24 hours.
- Support via chat / call / video conference.
- Personal tutoring for about 30 minutes, to be arranged weekly or bi-monthly.
- Learning 3.0: flexible schedules, different learning environments and technologies.
- World-class faculty: interaction with expert faculty and industry professionals.
- Collaborative tools, teamwork, communication and debate.
- Sports-industry oriented: training that approaches the business sector of the sports industry.
- Learning from experience: designed for professional improvement.
The teachers of the Johan Cruyff Institute are experts from the sports sector and combine research and consultancy with teaching. Through their experience and knowledge, they have developed a broad variety of cases and concepts to work with.
VIRTUAL CAMPUSAs a student of the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Management, you will have exclusive access to the learning platform which allows you to monitor your academic progress 24 hours a day, from anywhere in the world. The virtual campus offers a collaborative environment between teachers and students facilitating e-mails, chats, books, articles, case studies, simulations, experiences, websites, blogs and a video library. You will have a wide range of tools at your disposal to make your learning experience interactive, rewarding and complete.
ALUMNI AND NETWORKINGThe Johan Cruyff Institute network gives you the opportunity to connect and collaborate with other students, alumni and members of our global network, and share your passion for sport and professional experience with them. We promote and facilitate continuous training. Our community is in this sense, a network of social and professional relationships, and its influence expands in the sport and business sectors.
CORPORATE INTERNSHIPSOur Corporate Training Program is the natural result of the global network of the Johan Cruyff Institute. The practices are an enriching learning experience for both organizations and for students. They contribute to the company’s professional development, and offer students the opportunity to access businesses related to sports live the reality of a sport organization and acquire new practical skills and knowledge.
CAREER SERVICESThe Johan Cruyff Institute allows a bridge between potential candidates and the corporate sector involved in sports. Organizations and companies in the sports sector with vacancies contact us when looking for sports-minded candidates. The Johan Cruyff Institute selects qualified contacts within our network profiles. Employment opportunities and new projects in the sports sector are also announced through our various channels.
- Academic degree: Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Management from the Johan Cruyff Institute
- Duration: 6 months. 32 ECTS (weekly dedication of 10-12 hours)
- Start: September 18, 2017
- Modality: Online. Also available blended in Barcelona (Spanish)
- Language: English or Spanish
- Price: € 4,500.- Euros
- Payment methods: Payment by installments available
- Special conditions: Discount for alumni and members of related entities
- Enrollment: Registration open until the start of the program
The program may be subject to change.
The institution reserves the right to cancel the edition of the program if it does not meet the minimum number of students.