- Qualification: Certificate for the Course in Leadership in Sport Organizations from Johan Cruyff Institute
- Duration: 5 weeks. 3 ECTS (weekly dedication of 10 hours)
- Start: March 21, 2023
- Modality: Online
- Language: English or Spanish
- Price: € 658.- (Fees for the academic year 2022-23)
- Special conditions: Discount for members of related entities
- Enrollment: Registration open until the start of the course
The program may be subject to change.
The institution reserves the right to cancel the edition of the program if it does not meet the minimum number of students.
Leadership is a very popular, but also complex and diverse phenomenon. This course is an introduction to the concept of leadership, which will be discussed from different angles. Leadership is about the ability to motivate people to challenge themselves and meet goals. Competitive (team) sports in particular create an environment where people must work together to achieve their goals. In this module, leadership theory will be applied to the context of sport.
The main objective of the Course in Leadership in Sport Organizations is to give you an introduction to common leadership theories with which you can make your own definition of leadership. Furthermore, the course will provide you with tools you can use to create a personal leadership style in your own context.
At the end of the course, participants will:
- Be able to develop their own definition of leadership based on common leadership theories.
- Be able to appreciate and discuss leadership themes in the context of sport.
- Be familiar with tools they can use in their own context to become (more) effective leaders.
The program is aimed at those who wish to complete their education with a specialized course in Leadership in Sport Organizations.
It is especially suitable for you, if:
- You’re an (ex-) athlete who wants specialized knowledge about innovation and leadership in sport organizations.
- You’re working in a business and/or sports environment and want to acquire a better understanding of leadership in sport.
In order to take this course it is recommended to have some knowledge of sport management.
Please complete the sign up form if you are interested in studying this program. Once we have confirmed payment, our academic department will contact you.
The program has 3 credits (ECTS), distributed over 5 weeks. The course is composed of various teaching units (UD) and each one consists of a continuous assessment test, in which you interactively apply theory, complemented with solving exercises and practical cases.
LEADERSHIP: A DEFINITION
- A brief history of leadership
- Leadership versus management
- Leadership traits
- Johan Cruyff and leadership
- Communication and teamwork
- Management styles and leadership
- Introduction to leadership styles
- Transactional versus transformational leadership
- Situational leadership
- Core values
- Energy management
- Time management
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF LEADERSHIP: ‘GETTING THINGS DONE’
- The concept of ‘followers’
- How the brain works
- Group versus individual
LEADING A TEAM
- Team stages
- Team roles
- Conflict management strategies
Certificate for the Course in Leadership in Sport Organizations from Johan Cruyff Institute.
TUTORINGThe program will have a professor assigned to it, who will organise the course and share instructions. The professor is responsible for supporting the student throughout the training process and monitoring their progress on the program.
- E-mail: reply within a maximum of 24 hours.
- Support via chat / call / video conference.
- Learning 3.0: flexible schedules, different learning environments and technologies.
- World-class faculty: interaction with expert faculty and industry professionals.
- Collaborative tools, teamwork, communication and debate.
- Sports-industry oriented: training that approaches the business sector of the sports industry.
- Learning from experience: designed for professional improvement.
The Johan Cruyff Institute teachers are experts from the sports sector and combine research and consultancy with teaching. Through their experience and knowledge, they have developed a broad variety of cases and concepts to work with.
VIRTUAL CAMPUSAs a student of the Course in Innovation and Leadership in Sport Organizations, you’ll have exclusive access to the learning platform that will allow you to track your academic progress 24 hours a day from anywhere in the world. The virtual campus provides a collaborative environment between professors and students facilitating e-mails, chats, videos, books articles, case studies, simulations, experiences, websites, blogs and a video library. You’ll have a wide range of tools at your disposal so your learning experience can be interactive, enriching and complete.
NETWORKING & ALUMNI CRUYFF INSTITUTE
Johan Cruyff Institute offers students, alumni, faculty and members of our network the opportunity to connect and collaborate, to share their passion for sports and their professional expertise.
The Alumni Cruyff Institute provides a means of interconnection that will enable the whole community not only to re-establish contact with fellow students, but also to create new links with people from the sports sector throughout the whole network who can offer new experiences and initiatives to keep growing in the profession.