- Qualification: Certificate for the Course in Strategic Planning in Football from Johan Cruyff Institute
- Duration: 5 weeks. 3 ECTS (weekly dedication of 10 hours)
- Start: March 19, 2024
- Modality: Online
- Language: English or Spanish
- Price: € 658.- (Fees for the academic year 2023-24)
- Special conditions: Discount for members of partner entities
- Enrollment: Registration open until the start of the course
The program may be subject to change.
The institution reserves the right to cancel the edition of the program if it does not meet the minimum number of students.
“Planning is one of the most demanded and, at the same time, one of the most difficult tasks of executives in football, an industry often driven by short-term view, actions and results. However, a club can only achieve controlled growth with a carefully designed strategy that will consider the relevant aspects of the game, the business and the environment. This program gives students a general overview of the most important issues to consider in this increasingly complex area and sheds light on the core ideas and concepts to consider when creating a strategic plan for a football club, hoping to provide the necessary tools to be applied in each specific context of the business.”
This course aims to teach students the core strategic principles implemented by football clubs, as well as to provide a detailed overview of a club’s ownership and governance model. Students will learn about the various hierarchical structures adopted by different clubs and will gain insight into the various internal departments that form a football club, understanding their roles, functions and how they interact with one another. LEARNING OUTCOMESAfter completing the course, participants should be able to:
- Distinguish between different club ownership models.
- Understand the various governance structures implemented by football clubs.
- Explain the role of each department within your club, their structure and who their key figures are.
- Perform a PESTL, SWOT and SMART analysis for your individual clubs.
- Know how to design a basic strategic plan for football clubs of different sizes, identifying core KPIs, budgetary requirements and potential stumbling blocks.
The program is aimed at anyone wishing to complement their training with a specialized course in strategic planning in football. It is especially suitable for you, if:
- Your aim is to obtain the main concepts related with the aspects of football business.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS In order to take this course it’s recommended to have some knowledge of sport management. ADMISSION PROCEDURE Please complete the sign up form if you are interested in studying this program. Once we have confirmed payment, our academic department will contact you.
The program has 3 credits (ECTS), distributed over 5 weeks. The course is composed of various teaching units (UD) and each one consists of a continuous assessment test, in which you interactively apply theory, complemented with solving exercises and practical cases.
- Identify the club’s structure, its goals and its objectives.
- What does a strategic plan involve?
- PESTL, SWOT, SMART.
- Action plan & KPIs.
UNDERSTANDING A CLUB INSIDE AND OUT
- The club’s governance structure/ownership model.
- The Football Department.
- Other Departments : Administrative, Operational, Legal, Marketing and Commercial, Communications, Fans and Membership, The Foundation.
- The club and its KPIs.
- Transparency and Compliance.
THE CLUB’S STRATEGY
- Game Model.
- Performance Revenue.
- The Club’s Strategy: 1 – 5 year plan.
ACADEMIC CERTIFICATION Certificate for the Course in Strategic Planning in Football from Johan Cruyff Institute.
TUTORINGThe program will have a professor assigned to it, who will organise the course and share instructions. The professor is responsible for supporting the student throughout the training process and monitoring their progress on the program.
- E-mail: reply within a maximum of 24 hours.
- Support via chat / call / video conference.
- Learning 3.0: flexible schedules, different learning environments and technologies.
- World-class faculty: interaction with expert faculty and industry professionals.
- Collaborative tools, teamwork, communication and debate.
- Sports-industry oriented: training that approaches the business sector of the sports industry.
- Learning from experience: designed for professional improvement.
The Johan Cruyff Institute teachers are experts from the sports sector and combine research and consultancy with teaching. Through their experience and knowledge, they have developed a broad variety of cases and concepts to work with. Learn more about our Faculty pool.
VIRTUAL CAMPUSAs a student of the Course in Strategic Planning in Football, you’ll have exclusive access to the learning platform that will allow you to track your academic progress 24 hours a day from anywhere in the world. The virtual campus provides a collaborative environment between professors and students facilitating e-mails, chats, videos, books articles, case studies, simulations, experiences, websites, blogs and a video library. You’ll have a wide range of tools at your disposal so your learning experience can be interactive, enriching and complete.
NETWORKING ALUMNI CRUYFF INSTITUTE
Johan Cruyff Institute offers students, alumni, faculty and members of our network the opportunity to connect and collaborate, to share their passion for sports and their professional expertise. The Alumni Cruyff Institute provides a means of interconnection that will enable the whole community not only to re-establish contact with fellow students, but also to create new links with people from the sports sector throughout the whole network who can offer new experiences and initiatives to keep growing in the profession. The platform has been designed so you can comfortably navigate through the various areas and enjoy the offers that most interest or adapt to the needs of alumni at any given time. In the Learning Area, you will find resources that will allow you to keep up with the latest trends in the sector, participate in our webinars or access pre-recorded academic sessions, as well as many other resources.