The Master in Sport Management in Amsterdam is tailored for people with a passion for sport who value professional career development in the sport industry. This 10-month intensive program in Amsterdam is delivered in English and explores through unique ‘Cruyffian’ teaching methods the most important aspects of management applied in sport, where personal development of each student is key.
Master students develop business plans and strategies for sporting organizations during the program. They are eager to address the challenges facing the international sport industry, whether developing a new product or service, advising a club or sport facility, or even starting their own company. Many students walk away with the next step in their sport business career already in hand.
Throughout the academic year we motivate and support students in every way we can, to facilitate their personal development. Professors and staff ensure all students, each with a different background and experiences, will be challenged in their learnings. It will be a new step in your personal development towards achieving your dream position in the sport industry.
Please go to the contact form below on this page and ask for our brochure of the Master in Sport Management in Amsterdam, with more detailed information of our ‘Cruyffian’ teaching methods, alumni network and faculty.
The Master in Sport Management aims to provide students with an in-depth knowledge of sport management and the necessary skills for a professional career in the world related to sport.
- Understand and apply strategic, global and objective vision to the sport industry from a business perspective.
- Create new market opportunities by applying an entrepreneurial spirit and a culture inclined towards innovation in sport organizations.
- Use the most innovative practices in sport marketing and be more effective in brand strategy and sponsorship execution.
- Detect the key factors to lead professional teams and obtain the best results.
- Interpret the financial statements of a sport organization and create financial strategies for new products and businesses.
- Optimize the management of a sport facility and sport event.
Those who complete the program will emerge fully prepared to access a wide variety of business opportunities that await in the international sport industry, whether managing a company or organization, directing a club or sport facility, or even starting their own company.
This Master in Sport Management is designed for ambitious athletes and sport and business professionals from different levels of education, nationalities and professions. We aim for a balanced mix of students with various sport and/or business backgrounds, which enables them to share their unique experiences and learn from each other. In all editions there have been several students with different nationalities and several athletes who have competed at the Olympics or international level, seeking their next career opportunity.
Notable alumni who have studied the Master in Sport Management in Amsterdam are for example: Esther Vergeer (wheelchair tennis), Justin Reid-Ross (field hockey), Edwin van der Sar (football), Ernesto Hoost (kick boxing), Lauren Silver (water polo USA), Jochem Schellens (Director, Sport Centre Papendal, Centre for Sporting Excellence and Education). Ask for the brochure to find out more about the motives of our graduates to study the Master in Sport Management.
The Master in Sport Management at the Johan Cruyff Institute is for you, if:
- You are an athlete or former athlete who is looking for academic training in management to give your professional career a boost.
- You have know-how in the sport management sector and would like to formalize your experience with a Master, boost your future and/or expand your network.
- You wish to complete your education with a postgraduate degree specializing in sport management to create a future for yourself in the sport industry.
- You are working in the business sector and wish to focus your career in the sport industry.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTSTo be admitted, you must meet one of the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree (Netherlands: HBO) or equivalent, or
- Three years of professional career experience in the (sport) industry*, and
- Fluent in English
* Note: Experience as an elite athlete is not required, but having developed a career as a professional athlete will be valued as work experience, depending level and commitment.
In addition, the Johan Cruyff Institute is looking for people who:
- Have an interesting motivation to attend the Master program.
- Have a passion for sport. We believe that a passion for sport drives education and development to become a leader in sport management.
- Are ambitious and wish to develop yourself for a professional career in sport management.
- Enjoy learning in a practical environment.
- Value an individual oriented approach.
- Are not afraid to step out of their comfort zone to be able to make a personal growth.
ADMISSION PROCEDUREThe admission procedure consists of:
- Please complete the pre-enrollment form if you are interested in studying this program.
- We will contact you for an interview with the program manager.
- The Admissions Committee will evaluate if your achievements as well as your aspirations and motivations in pursuing this degree, are in line with the objectives of the program, and decides on approval of your admission.
- Student contract will be sent to you, formalizing your student status at the Johan Cruyff Institute Amsterdam.
- Accepted participants will be notified by e-mail, along with further information about the next steps of the admission process.
Do you have any doubts or questions? If you are interested in attending the program, but you still have questions after reading this page, please use the contact form at the bottom of the page. Another option is to visit one of our Open Days, where staff, students and professors are ready to answer your questions. Ask us about the next Open Day.
The curriculum of the Master in Sport Management consists of mandatory instructional modules. The Master is completed by developing and presenting a final plan or business plan:
- Definition of strategy
- Strategic planning
- Sport industry analysis
- Management strategies
- Resource-based business vision
- Creating sustainable competitive advantage
APPLIED SPORT PERFORMANCE SKILLS
- Personal performance
- Time and energy management
- Presentation skills
- Coaching skills
- Communication skills
- Marketing vs. sport marketing
- Principles of marketing
- Sport marketing strategies and plans
- Brand development
- The future of sport
- Digital marketing
- Exploitation of sport centers
- Maintenance management
- Risk management
- Tender & bid process
- Event organization
- Project management
- Volunteer management
- Economic balance of an event
- Event evaluation
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT OF THE SPORT INDUSTRY
- Financial report analysis
- Investments and enterprise evaluation
- Funding your business plan
- Financial planning
- Price strategy
- Creating profit: sales and fund raising
- Outsourcing: budget control
MANAGING, INNOVATING & LEADING SPORT ORGANIZATIONS
- Management competencies
- Leadership styles
- Managing people & processes
- Talent development
- Growing your business & managing change
- Business modeling & value creation
- Innovation and entrepreneurship
- Cultural diversity from a social perspective
- Cultural diversity from a corporate perspective
- Policy: from different perspectives: political – sport sanction body – social domain – corporate
- New media
DATA, TECHNOLOGY & DIGITALIZATION
- Implementation and application
- The impact of digitalization
- The use of DTD related to sports
- Developing ‘Final Plan’ / Business Plan
- Final Showcase presentations
STUDY TRIPS AND OUTDOOR ACTIVITIESOur on campus program in Amsterdam offers visits to sport organizations, clubs and facilities so that students can experience the challenges confronted by sport managers on a daily basis.
The program includes an international study trip early on in the study year. The study trip contributes to various modules in the Master in Sport Management program, delivered via guest presentations, site visits and workshops. It also stimulates bonding and friendships in the student group, and many alumni consider this study trip as one of the highlights of their study experiences during the program.
The Johan Cruyff Institute uses a rich learning environment that fosters educational tools based on a student interaction model, which also enables students to share their unique experiences and learn from each other. Students will engage actively in creative challenges that require effort, commitment and intuitive thinking.
Through the academic year we focus on the personal development of each student. The professors and staff ensure that everyone is challenged in their learning. All the theory studied will be relevant, tangible, fun and enjoyable to learn by responding to the latest news, using case studies and having guest lectures from key note speakers from the sport management industry.
In order to stimulate personal development, one-to-one sessions can be arranged between students, Johan Cruyff Institute staff and professors for those who need a little extra support or guidance during the program.
Professors and staff encourage students to become a ‘Cruyff family member’ for life. The Johan Cruyff Institute will do everything to help students from different backgrounds and nationalities feel welcome and comfortable from the moment they step into our office. We know all our students individually and maintain contact with them during and after the study program.
Ask for the brochure of the Master in Sport Management and/or visit an Open Day to find out more about our ‘Cruyffian’ teaching methodology.
The modules are delivered by professors who have held, or currently work in key positions across different areas of the sport industry and combine vast experience from sport, business and education. We believe in small classes, where the professors facilitate and assess the development of the personal competencies of each student to coach them through a challenging program with enjoyment and personal experiences. Professors know who you are and support each student in their own personal journey.
The Faculty is presented below. Please ask for the brochure to read their quotes and viewpoints on teaching.
||Henk Verschuur President of the largest Martial Arts Federation, member organization of the Dutch Olympic Committee NOC*NSF. Fulfilled several key functions in (inter)national sport federations. Instrumental in international negotiations with parties like ministries of sport and international sport sanction bodies. Professor of Strategic Management of the Master in Sport Management of the Johan Cruyff Institute.|
||Irsan Widarto Entrepreneur at heart. Proven business acumen. Co-founder/CTO of X-Hive Corporation, in 2007 acquired by EMC Corporation. Currently Director of Engineering at EMC Corporation. Looking for start-up opportunities (investment, advice, board membership). Specialties: connecting people, team management & development, project management, innovation, software development.|
||Richard Denton Richard has been working in the sport marketing and entertainment business since 1989. He has worked for global brands such as Canon, Philips, Omega, ABN AMRO, Heineken and Unilever, across a variety of sport and events including the FIFA World Cup, UEFA Champions League, Formula 1, Volvo Ocean Race, PGA European golf tour, the Ryder Cup, Wimbledon, Roland Garros and the Olympic Games. His most recent position was managing director of one of Holland’s leading sport marketing agencies, Trefpunt-PRISM, from November 2009 until September 2015. Richard is now a freelance marketing consultant advising brands and sport organizations.|
||Frans BoumansHe is teaching in financial management since 1989 at diverse Universities. Beside of that he worked with different banks in the fields of commercial and investment banking with small and medium sized companies as well as larger corporates in the Netherlands and abroad.|
||Martijn van Westerop Working in various ways to support people in their development to become sustainable high performers in business and sport. Guest lectures at Webster University in Geneva and at the Master of Advanced Studies in Sport Administration and Technology (MSA) at the International Academy of Sport Science and Technology (AISTS). Specialties: Dynamic and innovative out of the box-thinking manager with a focus on development, learning, co-creation with an open and sensitive mind towards cultures and different backgrounds.|
||Kees Verschoor Kees is Managing Partner of Turacien. This agency implements strategies in organizations based on stakeholder relationships that are concrete and measurable. He assisted numerous organizations in the change to manage by relationships and not only by money. He gained his extensive experience as -Interim- Manager in different countries, cultures and organizations, working for organizations such as Randstad, Shell and Medicines sans Frontiers. Kees wrote the book ‘Mutual Sustainability – Managing by Relationships’ and is a key note speaker on stakeholder and sustainability issues.|
||Paul ten HagPaul ten Hag is the managing director of the Dutch women’s foootball league. Paul has extensive experience as a Facility Manager. He worked for eleven years as Director of Facilities & Sport Services at Nike Europe. He also was Facility Manager at Holec Holland and Texas Instruments. Paul is an active and passionate sport fan. He was director of the Dutch Archery Federation. Paul is also the core professor of the Module Sport & Facility / Event Management, and responsible for monitoring the content of that program.|
NETWORKING & ALUMNI CRUYFF INSTITUTEJohan Cruyff Institute offers students, alumni, faculty and members of our network the opportunity to connect and collaborate, to share their passion for sports and their professional expertise.
The Alumni Cruyff Institute provides a means of interconnection that will enable the whole community not only to re-establish contact with fellow students, but also to create new links with people from the sports sector throughout the whole network who can offer new experiences and initiatives to keep growing in the profession.
The platform has been designed so you can comfortably navigate through the various areas and enjoy the offers that most interest or adapt to the needs of alumni at any given time. In the Learning Area, you will find resources that will allow you to keep up with the latest trends in the sector, participate in our webinars or access pre-recorded academic sessions, as well as many other resources.
The Alumni Cruyff Institute platform’s Networking section provides a meeting point for alumni to get in touch, share experiences, network, discuss ideas and create positive synergies for the benefit of all. Those who play in this ‘League’ will enjoy the Cruyff Alumni Club, where all Alumni members (organized by center) will have at their disposal numerous academic and leisure activities and events organized in the different countries.
In a later stage, the Alumni Cruyff Institute will offer platform members support in managing their professional development through the Career Services section (job offers and internships). There will also soon be the Cruyff Alumni Shop, an online store where you can purchase official Johan Cruyff Institute products exclusively.
VIRTUAL CAMPUSAs a student of the Master in Sport Management, you will have access to our digital learning platform that supports your academic progress 24 hours a day, anywhere in the world. The virtual campus offers a collaborative environment between teachers and students, facilitating e-mails, chats, videos, books, articles, cases, simulations, experiences, websites, blogs and a video library. You will have a wide range of tools at your disposal to make your learning experience complete, interactive and rewarding.
CAREER SERVICESMany sport organizations and businesses with job vacancies turn to the Johan Cruyff Institute when they are searching for candidates with a ‘sport mentality’. The Johan Cruyff Institute can help to select and contact qualified candidates within the ‘Cruyff network’. We also announce job openings and new projects in sport throughout our media.
Moreover, the Johan Cruyff Institute Amsterdam has a partnership with Sport Netwerk and GlobalSportsJobs. Both organizations have the aim to help and guide students and alumni of the Johan Cruyff Institute in the labor market. The career partners serve as a key intermediary between potential applicants of the Johan Cruyff Institute and the national and international sport business industry.
Most of the classes are delivered at the Johan Cruyff Institute Amsterdam, located next to the Olympic Stadium. The Olympic Stadium hosted the 1928 Olympic Games, providing a link between the history and future of sport. This unique setting inspires our staff and students to excel in sport management.
Throughout the academic year some classes are held onsite at sport facilities located throughout The Netherlands, enhancing the practical delivery of the program. Find out more about the locations by asking for the Master in Sport Management brochure.
- Degree: Master in Sport Management degree from the Johan Cruyff Institute
- Duration: 10 months. 60 ECTS (weekly dedication of aprox. 20 hours)
- Start: September 2018
- End: June 2019
Monday and Wednesday (there is a morning and an evening edition). Regularly classes on Saturday
Johan Cruyff Institute Amsterdam
Laan der Hesperiden 118 - 1076 DX Amsterdam
- Modality: On Campus
- Language: English
- Price: € 9,159- (excl. 21% VAT). Consisting of € 8,409- tuition fee and € 750- admission fee. The study fee includes learning platform and a study trip (excl. flight ticket)
- Payment methods: Payment by installments available; ask for the conditions
- Special conditions: Discount for alumni and members of related entities
- Enrollment: Registration open until the start of the Master. Limited places available
The program may be subject to change.
The institution reserves the right to cancel the edition of the program if it does not meet the minimum number of students.