- Degree: Master in Sport Management from the Johan Cruyff Institute
- Duration: 13 months. 60 ECTS (weekly dedication of 10-12 hours)
- Start: September 16, 2019
- Modality: Online. Also available on campus in Amsterdam (English), and blended in Barcelona (Spanish)
- Language: English or Spanish
- Price: € 7,800.- + € 100.- Application Fee (The Admission Fee must be completed to start the admission process before August 30th. This fee will be discounted from the last installment. If not admitted or enrolled, the admission fee will not be reimbursed).
- Payment methods: Payment by installments available
- Special conditions: Discount for alumni and members of related entities
- Enrollment: Registration open until the start of the Master program
The program may be subject to change.
The institution reserves the right to cancel the edition of the program if it does not meet the minimum number of students.
The sports industry has had a growing impact on the global economy over the last 20 years with investment in public infrastructure, mobilizing resources and creating new professions and jobs. Today it is one of the professional sectors with the most economic momentum, creating opportunities for many people who aspire to a future in the world of sports.
The main objective of the Master in Sport Management Online is to train you to use management tools to help you recognize business opportunities, develop strategies, anticipate changes, optimize resources and analyze information judiciously, without the obstacles of time or place and adapting the pace of study to your individual workload and availability.
- To understand and apply strategic, global and objective vision to the sports industry from a business perspective.
- To create new market opportunities by applying an entrepreneurial spirit and a culture inclined towards innovation in sport organizations.
- To use the most innovative practices in sport marketing and be more effective in brand strategy and sponsorship execution.
- To detect the key factors to lead professional teams and obtain the best results.
- To interpret the financial statements of a sports organization and create financial strategies for new products and businesses.
- To optimize the management of a sport facility and sporting event.
You have the option of studying the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Management (32 ECTS) and the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Marketing (27 ECTS), or you can take modules of the Master separately as specialized courses. This way, you can earn credits towards obtaining the Master degree in a maximum period of 3 years from the start of the first module.
The Master in Sport Management is right for you if:
- You’re an (ex-) athlete who is looking for academic education and a degree in sport management to give your professional career a boost.
- You’re working in a management environment and want a specialization in the sports industry.
- You wish to complete your education with a postgraduate degree specializing in business and
Those who have completed this Master are currently working in the areas of:
- Sports Competition (professional sports teams and event organizers)
- Governance (sports federations and associations)
- Facilities and Sport Events (championship organizers, sports clubs)
- Community Sports (foundations, municipalities)
- Sports Consulting (own business initiatives)
- Sports Journalism (media)
- Marketing and Sponsorship (private and public companies)
To be admitted, you must meet one of the following requirements:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree, diploma or equivalent.
- Have at least 3 years experience in the field of sport management.
- Have developed a career as a professional athlete.
Please complete the pre-enrollment form if you are interested in studying this program. Your form will be submitted to the Admissions Committee, which will evaluate if your achievements as well as your aspirations and motivations in pursuing this degree, are in line with the objectives of the program. The admission procedure may include a personal interview with the program manager. One of our academic consultants will contact you within 72 hours.
The program consists of 6 modules that cover all key areas of sport management. Each module has a number of teaching units (UD) and each one consists of a continuous assessment test (PAC) which works an interactive, theoretical aspect, complemented with solving exercises and practical case studies.
Once each UD is completed, you must submit the appropriate PAC before proceeding to the next one. For the Master’s final project, you will have to submit a business plan which you will have been working on with the tutor throughout the academic year. The business plan presentation can be done by videoconference or in person at the Johan Cruyff Institute in Barcelona.
STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT OF SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS
- The company strategy: origin and design
- The purpose of the company: mission, vision and values
- Strategic analysis: SWOT
- Positioning strategies based on external analysis
- Growth strategies
- Business Plan: scheme and strategy
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT IN SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS
- Finance and sport management
- Interpretation of financial reports
- Analysis of financial statements
- Financial planning
- Project investment and assessment
MANAGEMENT, INNOVATION AND LEADERSHIP IN SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS
- Communication styles
- Scientific Management
- Leadership and developing people
- Knowing team members
- Communication and teamwork
- Management styles and leadership
- Innovation in business management
- Types of innovation
- Introduction to sport marketing
- Defending the marketing strategy: differentiation
- Marketing segmentation, targets, positioning and value proposal
- Brand design & marketing
- Operational marketing: objectives
- Development and management of products/services in sports organisation
- Price policy
- Distribution policy
- Communication policy
- Marketing and communication 2.0 and social media
- Marketing plan
Event management – 7 ECTS
- Event types
- Organization models
- Event phases
- Economic management
- Event Marketing
- Personnel & Volunteers
- Risk Management
Facility management – 7 ECTS
- Urban planning of sports facilities
- Management models
- Management plan of a sports facility
- The Internet society
- Digital environments
- Digital strategy
- Analysis: Metrics for social media, the KPIs, Analysis tools
- Introduction to sponsorship
- Sponsorship values and principles
- Framework in relation to stakeholders
- Determining factors in sponsorship
- Corporate social responsibility in sponsorship
- Sponsorship marketing and communication strategy
- Sponsorship types & objectives
- Third sector sponsorship
- Sponsorship and technology
- Own event sponsorship
- Historic Milestone Sponsorship
- Media in sponsorship
MASTER FINAL PROJECT
- Business plan development
Master in Sport Management from the Johan Cruyff Institute.
The Master in Sport Management puts you at the center of your education. You will enjoy learning based on a learning by doing methodology. We encourage collaborative work and transfer the content to specific situations in sport management (connective teaching methodologies and social constructivism). Our staff of expert faculty will guide you in the learning process, providing high quality training with the flexibility of online study.
PERSONALIZED TUTORINGWe will assign you a personal tutor, who will be monitoring your pace of study, adapting it to your work and/or sports schedule. At the beginning of the course you’ll create a tutorial action plan together. The tutor will make an assessment of your background, professional experience in the sector, availability and dedication to the course, and will also be responsible in guiding you in your study process, supporting you throughout the program.
Communication and queries will be handled by:
- E-mail: reply within a maximum of 24 hours.
- Support via chat / call / video conference.
- Personal tutoring for about 30 minutes, to be arranged weekly or bi-monthly.
- Learning 3.0: flexible schedules, different learning environments and technologies.
- World-class faculty: interaction with expert faculty and industry professionals.
- Collaborative tools, teamwork, communication and debate.
- Sports-industry oriented: training that approaches the business sector of the sports industry.
- Learning from experience: designed for professional improvement.
The teachers of the Johan Cruyff Institute are experts from the sports sector and combine research and consultancy with teaching. Through their experience and knowledge, they have developed a broad variety of cases and concepts to work with.
VIRTUAL CAMPUSAs a student of the Master in Sport Management, you will have exclusive access to the learning platform which allows you to monitor your academic progress 24 hours a day, from anywhere in the world. The virtual campus offers a collaborative environment between teachers and students facilitating e-mails, chats, books, articles, case studies, simulations, experiences, websites, blogs and a video library. You will have a wide range of tools at your disposal to make your learning experience interactive, rewarding and complete.
NETWORKING & ALUMNI CRUYFF INSTITUTEJohan Cruyff Institute offers students, alumni, faculty and members of our network the opportunity to connect and collaborate, to share their passion for sports and their professional expertise.
The Alumni Cruyff Institute provides a means of interconnection that will enable the whole community not only to re-establish contact with fellow students, but also to create new links with people from the sports sector throughout the whole network who can offer new experiences and initiatives to keep growing in the profession.
The platform has been designed so you can comfortably navigate through the various areas and enjoy the offers that most interest or adapt to the needs of alumni at any given time. In the Learning Area, you will find resources that will allow you to keep up with the latest trends in the sector, participate in our webinars or access pre-recorded academic sessions, as well as many other resources.
The Alumni Cruyff Institute platform’s Networking section provides a meeting point for alumni to get in touch, share experiences, network, discuss ideas and create positive synergies for the benefit of all. Those who play in this ‘League’ will enjoy the Cruyff Alumni Club, where all Alumni members (organized by center) will have at their disposal numerous academic and leisure activities and events organized in the different countries.
In a later stage, the Alumni Cruyff Institute will offer platform members support in managing their professional development through the Career Services section (job offers and internships). There will also soon be the Cruyff Alumni Shop, an online store where you can purchase official Johan Cruyff Institute products exclusively.
CORPORATE INTERNSHIPSOur Corporate Training Program is the natural result of the global network of the Johan Cruyff Institute. The practices are an enriching learning experience for both organizations and for students. They contribute to the company’s professional development, and offer students the opportunity to access businesses related to sports live the reality of a sport organization and acquire new practical skills and knowledge.
CAREER SERVICESThe Johan Cruyff Institute allows a bridge between potential candidates and the corporate sector involved in sports. Organizations and companies in the sports sector with vacancies contact us when looking for sports-minded candidates. The Johan Cruyff Institute selects qualified contacts within our network profiles. Employment opportunities and new projects in the sports sector are also announced through our various channels.