- Degree: Master in Sport Marketing and Management at Johan Cruyff Institute
- Duration: 10 months. 60 ECTS (weekly dedication of 5-8 hours on campus + 5-6 hours online)
- Start: September 30, 2022
On campus classes: Fridays from 3.30 pm to 8.30 pm (and some Thursdays in the evening)
Casa de la Convalescència
Calle Sant Antoni María Claret, 171
- Modality: Blended (in Barcelona)
- Language: Spanish
- Price: € 500 Enrollment Fee + € 8,620 Tuition Fee + € 30 Registration Fee (The Registration fee is non-refundable).
- Payment methods: Payment in installments available
- Special conditions: Discount for alumni and members of partner entities
- Enrollment: Registration open until the start of the program. Limited places available
The program may be subject to change.
The institution reserves the right to cancel the edition of the program if it does not meet the minimum number of students.
The Master in Sport Marketing and Management Blended is a 10-month program that delves into the most important aspects of marketing and management applied to sport.
Classes with expert faculty closely linked to sport, are combined with master classes with exclusive guest lecturers from the world of sport marketing and management, outdoor visits (field trips) and a study trip that will enrich the experience you’ll have in Barcelona with your classmates, broadening your network of contacts in the sporting world. In addition, each module of the Master will include some hours online.
The main objective of the Master in Sport Marketing and Management Blended is to guide you in your development as an integrated sport marketing and managment professional and train you in the use of marketing and management tools to recognize business opportunities, establish strategies, anticipate changes, optimize resources and analyze information with sound judgement.
- Understand and apply strategic, global and objective vision to the sports industry from a business perspective.
- Create new market opportunities by applying an entrepreneurial spirit and a culture inclined towards innovation in sport organizations.
- Use the most innovative practices in sport marketing and be more effective in brand strategy and sponsorship execution.
- Detect the key factors to lead professional teams and obtain the best results.
- Interpret the financial statements of a sports organization and create financial strategies for new products and businesses.
- Optimize the management of a sports facility and sports event.
The Master in Sport Marketing and Management is right for you, if:
- You’re an (ex) athlete looking for education and a degree in sport management to give your professional career a boost.
- You’re working in a business environment and want to specialize in the sports industry.
- You wish to complete your education with a postgraduate degree specializing in sport marketing, administration and management.
People who have completed this Master are currently working in the areas of:
- Sports Competition (professional sports teams and event organizers).
- Governance (sports federations and associations).
- Sports Facilities and Events (championship organizers, sports clubs).
- Community Sports (foundations, government, municipalities).
- Sports Consulting (private business initiatives).
- Sports Journalism (media agencies and media).
- Marketing and Sponsorship (private and public companies).
- Advertising and branding (advertising agencies and communication agencies).
To be eligible for admission, you must meet one of the following requirements:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree, undergraduate diploma or the equivalent.
- Have at least 3 years experience in the area of sport management.
- Have developed a career as a professional athlete.
Note: It is advisable to have basic knowledge of the English language.
Please complete the pre-enrollment form if you are interested in studying this program. Your form will be submitted to the Admissions Committee, which will evaluate if your achievements as well as your aspirations and motivations in pursuing this degree, are in line with the objectives of the program. The admission procedure may include a personal interview with the program manager. One of our academic consultants will contact you within 72 hours.
The study plan for the Master in Sport Marketing and Management is comprised of 12 compulsory modules. The Master is completed with the presentation of the final project which is a business plan or research project. The on-campus classes will be held on Fridays from 3.30 pm to 8.30 pm.
- Introduction to sport marketing
- Defining the marketing strategy: differentiation
- Market segmentation, targets, positioning and value proposal
- Design and brand management
- Operational marketing: objectives
- Development and management of products/services in sport organizations
- Price, distribution and communication policy
- Marketing and communication 2.0 and social media
- Marketing plan
- Company strategy: origin and design
- The purpose of the company: mission, vision and values
- Strategic analysis: SWOT
- Positioning strategies based on external analysis
- Growth strategies
- Business plan: outline and strategy
GOVERNANCE IN SPORT
- Typologies of sports/games. What makes football & sport so unique? Key aspects
- Sport and globalization/imperialism/transculturation
- Liturgy and rituals in football. Sport and politics, propaganda, protests, debates and influences
- Sport’s governing bodies, including FIFA, as actors of international relations, as well as counter-models
- Main principles and practical realizations of sport for development (S4D) Presentation of excellent grassroots and elite initiatives
- Conclusions and way forward: the sustainability agenda, football and the United Nations SDGs. The greening of major sporting events
- The people management annual cycle
- Development. Performance evaluation
- Project management & talent identification
- Compensation and benefits & internal communication
- People management strategic plan
ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT IN SPORT ORGANIZATIONS
- Finance and sport management
- Interpretation of financial reports
- Analysis of financial statements
INVESTMENT AND FINANCING MECHANISMS
- Financial planning
- Structural finance
INNOVATION AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- Innovation: what are we referring to?
- Innovation strategies
- Innovative business models
- Organization of innovation
- Innovation and the customer
- Open innovation
- Main sources of revenue in a sports property
- Control of commercial rights
- Ticketing and Access to tickets
- Quality advertising impact
- Customer loyalty and measurement tools
- Return on advertising and sponsorship investment
SPORT FACILITY MANAGEMENT
- Urban planning of sport facilities
- Management models
- Management plan of a sport facility
SPORT EVENT MANAGEMENT
- Event types
- Organization models
- Event phases
- Economic management
- Event marketing
- Personnel & volunteers
- Risk management
- The sponsorship marketplace
- The sponsorship toolbox
- Managing and activating a sponsorship
- Introduction: objectives, structure and method
- Sport & the media: history
- Sport & media players: buyers, sellers & intermediaries
- Sport & media geography: description & particularities of the world’s main regions
- How does it work?
- Conclusion + overview of what the future might bring
- Management tools for the digital transformation of a sports organization
- The transition in the digital transformation of an organization
- Social networks as a basic communication tool
- Data management: Big Data and Smart Data
- eSports and its rol in the sports industry
- Future impact on digital transformation on the sports industry
- Master’s Degree Final Project
The program includes visits to sport facilities and entities that provide an on-the-ground and first-hand understanding of what management challenges are faced on a day-to-day basis, in the hands of active professionals.
Master in Sport Marketing and Management of Johan Cruyff Institute.
The Master in Sport Marketing and Management puts you at the center of your education. You will enjoy learning based on a learning-by-doing methodology. We encourage collaborative work and transfer the content to specific situations in sport management (connective teaching methodologies and social constructivism). Our staff of expert faculty will guide you in the learning process, providing high quality training with the flexibility of online study.
- Learning 3.0: Flexible schedules, different learning environments and technologies.
- World-class faculty: Interaction with expert faculty and industry professionals.
- Collaborative tools, teamwork, communication and debate.
- Sports-industry oriented: Training that approaches the business sector of the sports industry.
- Learning from experience: Designed for professional improvement.
|Víctor Jordán Vallverdú ||Víctor Jordán is academic director and a board member of Johan Cruyff Institute. He is a lecturer in digital training at UOC, and lecturer, coordinator and consultant at the Fundació Tecnocampus Mataró-Maresmes and also lectures on the digital marketing course at Universitat de Vic. Víctor co-designed one of the first MOOCs at the UPF with more than 50,000 students and was the creator of the e-learning area of Johan Cruyff Institute, whose master’s and postgraduate courses have remained at the top of the sport management rankings over the years. He is currently working on his doctoral thesis on the esports industry.|
|Dra. Núria Masferrer||Núria Masferrer holds a PhD in economics and business studies, and is a lecturer and researcher. She is the co-coordinator of the Master’s Degree in Sport Management at the UAB-Johan Cruyff Institute, lecturer in the Department of Financial Accounting and Finance at the School of Social Sciences and Business (Tecnocampus-Universitat Pompeu Fabra), researcher in the GRAEFES research group, and is part of the social economics chair groupat the Universitat Pompeu Fabra.|
|David Hidalgo||David Hidalgo is CEO at Grand Valira Soldeu Ski Resort, general manager of the Andorra 2027 World Ski Championships bid, and president of the Andorra Esports Cluster. He has extensive experience in the ski industry, resort planning and operations, organizing world-class sporting events and the management of tourism and leisure activities. David is a lecturer on programs in sport management and sport event organization, and is also an expert in finance, innovation and information technology.|
|Cinto Ajram||Cinto Ajram is founder and CEO of CA Sports Marketing and an investor in different startups in the sports industry. With a degree in economics and a master’s degree in financial markets, he combines his work as a marketing and sponsorship professional with teaching at various universities and business schools. Cinto was head of global partnership activation at FC Barcelona and director of sponsorship and corporate social responsibility at Zurich Insurance Company.|
|Jordi Viñas Fort||Jordi Viñas is a sports consultant, and CEO and founder of Itik Consulting Sport & Leisure. He holds a degree in physical activity sciences, a master’s degree in sport management from Loughborough University and an MBA from Esade. Jordi has been working for more than 20 years in the management of sports entities, both in the public and private sector, specializing in strategic planning and facility management. Jordi is a member of the Social and Educational Research Group on Physical Activity and Sport (GISEAFE).|
|Roser de Puig||Roser de Puig is project manager of the institutional relations, public relations and protocol department of FC Barcelona, and has a degree in law and a master’s degree in sports law. Roser joined FC Barcelona in September 2021 after leading the organization of Euro 2020 in Seville within the Spanish Football Federation.|
|Martijn Bakx||Martijn Bakx is a media rights manager at Mediapro. With over 20 years of experience, he currently oversees all international broadcasting rights sales for LaLiga. In addition to that, he is responsible for new sport-related media projects within the Mediapro Group.
Martijn started in the sports business as a promoter of football and basketball games. In his role as executive producer, he was responsible for the European Basketball Championships in 2007 and the Euroleague Final Fours in 2009 and 2010. As a rights manager, Martijn strategically assesses business opportunities, from both the sales and the acquisition perspectives, for the domestic Spanish market as well as on a global scale. In recent years, in addition to his work for LaLiga, Martijn has started up ambitious media projects in Canada, France and Belgium.
|Julián Fernández||Julián Fernández is currently commercial director of Mediapro. With more than 23 years of experience in the sports industry, he has vast knowledge of marketing and sponsorship, with a profile very oriented to the strategic planning of all the accounts he leads. Before joining Mediapro, Julián developed his career at FC Barcelona, as head of public relations and protocol, head of sponsorship of the club’s sections and as commercial director of FC Barcelona, managing the commercial area and the search for sponsorships for the first team and the 13 professional and amateur sections of the club.|
|José Luis Beltrán||José Luis Beltrán is digital project manager at FC Barcelona and a specialist in fan engagement, digital strategy & analytics. In his position, he leads the communication and integration tasks between the commercial, marketing, operations and customer service departments from a technological perspective. He is also responsible for communication projects, negotiation and consensus in decision-making between business and technology, as well as the management of e-commerce and m-commerce projects.|
|Kepa Larumbe||Kepa Larumbe is director of the legal department of BDO in Spain. He is a specialist in sports law with extensive experience in managing litigation before sports governing bodies (Consejo Superior de Deportes and Tribunal Administrativo del Deporte), international arbitration bodies (Court of Arbitration for Sport based in Lausanne, Switzerland) and law courts in the areas of administrative, civil and labour litigation.|
|Mar Rotger||Mar Rotger is managing director at Grupo Arsenal. As head of business development, she is responsible for the definition and technical planning of sponsorship projects, the development of strategies and commercial operations, the optimization of resources and costs, and the activation of sponsorships and events organization. Prior to joining Grupo Arsenal, Mar was a project consultant at CA Sports, marketing and events manager at the Catalan Volleyball Federation and project management consultant at Aura Sports and Creativialab.|
|Verónica Riera||Verònica Riera is project manager at Advance Inspiring Social Innovation, a strategic consultant for projects linking the world of sport and the social sphere, and a university lecturer at Ramón Llull. With a master’s degree in sport management and a postgraduate degree in psychology, Verònica comes from the marketing and communication sector and has experience in the organization of sporting events. Verònica was previously director of the Sánchez Casal Academy in Florida for a period of three years, a consultant at Itik Consulting Sport & Leisure, and marketing & communication manager at I-Con Sports.|
VIRTUAL CAMPUSOnline learning takes place in an Open Campus environment through our virtual learning platform based on a learning by doing methodology, using exercises, case studies and projects. The virtual campus provides an environment rich in learning tools to encourage study and the use of the online library, chats, web links, self-assessment tests, video library, master classes etc. It allows you to monitor your own academic progress from anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day.
NETWORKING & ALUMNI CRUYFF INSTITUTEJohan Cruyff Institute offers students, alumni, faculty and members of our network the opportunity to connect and collaborate, to share their passion for sports and their professional expertise.
The The Alumni Cruyff Institute platform provides a means of interconnection that will enable the whole community not only to re-establish contact with fellow students, but also to create new links with people from the sports sector throughout the whole network who can offer new experiences and initiatives to keep growing in the profession.
CORPORATE INTERNSHIPSOur Corporate Training Program is the natural result of the global network of Johan Cruyff Institute. The practices are an enriching learning experience for both organizations and students. They contribute to the company’s professional development, and offer students the opportunity to access businesses related to sports, live the reality of a sport organization and acquire new practical skills and knowledge.
CAREER SERVICESJohan Cruyff Institute allows a bridge between potential candidates and the corporate sector involved in sports. Organizations and companies in the sports sector with vacancies contact us when looking for sports-minded candidates. The Johan Cruyff Institute selects qualified contacts within our network profiles. Employment opportunities and new projects in the sports sector are also announced through our various channels.
The Casa Convalescència, one of the last great works of Catalan Modernism (Lluís Domènech i Montaner), forms part of the complex of the Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, designed in the late 19th century.
The whole hospital complex, including the Casa, was declared Historical Artistic Monument in 1978 and World Cultural Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1997.
UAB-Casa Convalescència is currently the headquarters of the Foundation of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (FUAB).