- Qualification: University Master's Degree in Sports Management from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
- Duration: 10 months. 60 ECTS
- Start: September 2023
- End: June 2024
Casa de la Convalescència
Calle Sant Antoni María Claret, 171
- Modality: On campus. Also available online in English and Spanish
- Language: Spanish
- Price: € 1,000.- Enrollment fee + € 9,980.- Tuition fee+ € 30,21.- Application fee (The Application fee is non-refundable if not admitted or not enrolled. This fee is independent from the price of the Master credit.). Fees for the academic year 2023-24.
- Payment methods: Payment by installments available
- Enrollment: Registration open from January 2023 until the start of the program. Limited seats available.
The program may be subject to change.
The institution reserves the right to cancel the edition of the program if it does not meet the minimum number of students.
Johan Cruyff Institute and Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) collaborate to jointly deliver the University Master’s Degree in Sports Management linked to the Faculty of Economics and Business of the UAB. In the 2019 edition of the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, the UAB is the second Spanish university, occupying position 145 in the world ranking. In Europe, the UAB ranks among the Top 100 (63th position).
The University Master’s Degree in Sports Management is a 10-month program that examines the most important aspects of management applied to sport. Classes from expert faculty members, who are closely linked to the sports sector, are combined with master classes with exclusive speakers from the world of sport administration and management, outdoor visits (field trips) and study trips that will enrich the experience you’ll have with your classmates and, broaden your network of contacts in the world of sport.
The main objective of the University Master’s Degree in Sports Management is to guide you in your development as an integrated sport management professional and train you in the use of management tools to recognize business opportunities, establish strategies, anticipate changes, optimize resources and analyze information with sound judgement.
LEARNING OUTCOMESUpon the completion of the program, you will be able to:
- Describe the socioeconomic and legal framework of sports entities in order to develop a strategic management model.
- Recognize, negotiate and use the financial resources available to manage a sports entity in a sustainable manner.
- Identify indicators that allow the development of the potential of the people part of a sports company.
- Design the commercial management of sports products and services through strategies and marketing plans.
- Manage financially infrastructures and sports facilities.
- Plan and manage sports events.
- Apply the knowledge and skills learned in a professional environment of the sport management field.
- Develop a Business Plan or a project related to sports management.
The University Master’s Degree in Sports Management is right for you, if:
- You’re an (ex) athlete looking for education and a degree in sport management to give your professional career a boost.
- You’re working in a business environment and want to specialize in the sports industry.
- You wish to complete your education with a Master specializing in the administration and management of sports.
- You’re a working professional who wishes to focus on a career in the sports industry.
People who have completed this Master are currently working in the areas of:
- Sports Competition (professional sports teams and event organizers).
- Governance (sports federations and associations).
- Sports Facilities and Events (championship organizers, sports clubs).
- Community Sports (foundations, government, municipalities).
- Sports Consulting (private business initiatives).
- Marketing and Sponsorship (private and public companies).
ACCESSTo access this master’s program applicants are required to hold an official Spanish university degree or other degree issued by a higher education institution of the European Higher Education Area, or other non-EU institution, that entitles access in the issuing country to attend a master’s program.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTSThe requirements for admission are:
- An official university degree or its international equivalent. * Degree qualification and academic certificates issued by institutions in countries outside the EU must be official documents issued by the competent authorities and legalized via diplomatic channels or, where necessary, via the Hague Apostille.
- A level of Spanish corresponding to the CEFR B2 level is required.
- All candidates who cannot accredit an official university degree in Business Administration and Management, Economics, Marketing, Tourism or equivalents are required to take an entrance exam for the master’s degree.
- Depending on the results obtained in the entrance exam, the student may be required to take extra courses in order to access the Master’s Degree.
* Depending on your degree you may be asked to take complementary courses as a prerequisite for admission (4 ECTS each one).
- Certified photocopy of the official university degree necessary for admission to Master, or photocopy of the degree along with the original.In the case the Hague Apostille will be necessary, it should clearly appear on the certified photocopy.
- Certified photocopy of university transcript, or photocopy of transcript along with official transcript.
- ID Photocopy.
- 2 passport photos.
- Registration form completed for the Official Masters Degree in Sport Management.
SELECTION CRITERIAIn the candidate selection procedure (max 5 points) the following evaluation criteria will be applied:
- Suitability of the candidate’s profile to the objectives and contents of the program (up to 2.5 points). The assessment of the suitability of the candidate’s profile will be made based on the result obtained in the entrance test (if necessary) and a presentation letter of a maximum length of two pages in which the candidate will present their qualifications to the Master’s profile and professional objectives.
- Academic record: it will be valued in accordance with the regulations for the assessment of academic records of the UAB (up to 1.5 points).
- Professional experience: professional experience will be valued positively, especially if this experience has been obtained in the field of Sports Management. (up to 1 point) (up to 0.5 points)
- The content of two letters of recommendation (0.5 points). A letter from a university professor and another letter from a professional field will be especially valued.
APPLICATION PROCESSPre-enrollment is done through the website of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB), by clicking on this link PRE-ENROLLMENT or the button on the top right of this page. Once on the UAB site, you will be explained all the steps you must follow to complete your enrollment. The last step to complete your enrollment will be in person at the registrar’s office of the Johan Cruyff Institute. If you are unable to attend, we will ask you to send us all the necessary documentation to complete the enrollment process for you.
The study plan of the University Master’s Degree in Sports Management consists of 10 compulsory study modules.
ECONOMICS OF SPORT AND STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT
- Analysis of the demand and supply of sport events
- Study of production theory in the sporting events market
- Analysis of cost structure of sport clubs and the trend towards debt
- Analysis of institutions and governance of sport, analysing the role of clubs, leagues and federations
- Rationality and incentives in sport
- Introduction to the legal framework of the sport industry
- Definition of strategy
- Strategic planning
- Analysis of the sector
- Management strategies
- Resource-based company vision
- Creating sustainable competitive advantage
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT OF SPORT ORGANIZATIONS
- Profit and loss structure: economic ratios
- Balance sheet structure: financial ratios
- Financial-economic diagnosis
- Financial and capital planning
- Funding: ways to finance sport business; taxation
- Analysis and assessment of sport investment projects
INNOVATION, ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND LEADERSHIP IN THE SPORTS SECTOR
- Leadership styles
- Attracting talent
- Recruitment 2.0
- Efficient team management
- Growing the business: Generation of change
- Human resources or Human capital?
- Roles and competences
- Retention and talent development
- Training, education and trends
- Assessment indicators and HR management
- Innovative businesses
- Management model and value creation
- Entrepreneurship: the entrepreneurial process
- Managing creativity
- Design and innovation of business models for the sport industry and creation of sport businesses. Social entrepreneurship
- Marketing vs sport marketing
- Principles of marketing
- Market research in sport
- Consumer behavior
- Sport marketing strategies and plans
- International sport marketing
- Planning and strategy in sport marketing
- Brand development
- Advertising and communication in sport
- The future of sport
- Principles and values of sponsorship
- Stakeholder engagement framework
- Key factors in sponsorship
- Marketing and communications strategy for sponsorship
- Types of sponsorship
- Sponsorship objectives
- Comparison of sponsorship within and beyond the sport industry
SPORTS FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
- Strategic planning of facilities: elements that make up the sport market
- Factors that affect the viability of a facility
- The implementation of sport services
- Tools to design and promote sport services
- Pricing strategy
- Design of working processes and organisational structure
- Management control systems
- Scorecard design and control
- Identification of the economic viability of a facility
- Incomes and expenses of sport facilities
SPORTS EVENTS MANAGEMENT
- Types of events
- Organisational models
- Stages of the event
- Economic management
- Event marketing
- Staff & volunteers
- Risk Management
These are training activities developed by students within any public or private, national or international entity in order to enable students to implement and complement the training acquired, bring them closer to the business reality in which they will exercise their professional activity, and help them to develop skills that will facilitate their inclusion into the labor market.
To choose between two electives:
- Internship (9 ECTS)
- Emerging Trends in the Sports Industry (9 ECTS)
- Development of a business plan or research project
The program includes visits to sports entities and facilities, guided by staff members, in order to learn more about their management, such as La Masía (FC Barcelona), Estadi Johan Cruyff (FC Barcelona), Spotify Camp Nou (FC Barcelona), Centre d’Alt Rendiment (CAR), RCDE Stadium (RCD Espanyol), Estadi Municipal de Montilivi (Girona FC), Circuit de Catalunya, Johan Cruyff Arena (AFC Ajax), Real Club de Tenis Barcelona, among others.
- University Master’s Degree in Sports Management from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
The price of the program does not include the administrative fee for the issuance of the Official Master’s diploma (€218.15 in 2022). As it is an official degree, this can take between 12 and 24 months. Once you have requested it, the UAB Academic Management Service will give you a provisional diploma certificate valid for all purposes until you receive the official diploma.
The University Master’s Degree in Sports Management puts you at the center of your education. You will enjoy learning based on a learning-by-doing methodology. We encourage collaborative work and transfer the content to specific situations in sport management (connective teaching methodologies and social constructivism). Our expert faculty staff will guide you in the learning process, providing high quality training with the flexibility of online study.
The Johan Cruyff Institute uses a learning environment rich in educational tools to foster a model based on the interaction between the student, the group and the teacher.
- Learning 3.0: flexible schedules, different learning environments and technologies.
- World-class faculty: interaction with expert faculty and industry professionals.
- Collaborative tools, teamwork, communication and debate.
- Sports-industry oriented: training that brings you closer to the business side of the sports industry.
- Learning from experience: designed for professional improvement.
The University Master’s Degree in Sports Management combines a core of university professors with teaching and research experience, and a set of experts professionally active in their areas and connected to companies and institutions in the sector.
Guest lecturers by recognized professionals in their field are also included, with the aim of bringing an added value to the Master and enriching the program.
|Dr. Carles Cendrós Cámara||PhD in Psychology, Ramon Llull University. Human Resources Director at FC Barcelona.|
|Dra. Nuria Masferrer Llabinés||PhD in Economics and Business. Universitat de Barcelona.|
|Dra. Judith Panadés Martí||PhD in Economics. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.|
|Dr. Marc Bernadich||PhD in Business Entrepreneurship and Management. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.|
|Dra. Verónica Riera||PhD in Sports Management. Universidad Ramón Llull.|
|Dr. Andreu Turró Sol||PhD in Philosophy. Business Administration and Management. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.|
|Dr. Ricard Esparza||PhD in Economics of Innovation and Business. Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya|
|Dra. Núria Juan||PhD in Educational Psychology. Universitat de Barcelona in agreement with Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Universitat Ramón Llull and Universitat de Girona.|
|David Hidalgo Vila||CEO at Grandvalira-Soldeu Sky Resort. BA Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.|
|Jordi Viñas Fort||CEO at ITIK Consultoría. PhD student, Physical Activity and Sports, Universitat de Lleida.|
|Jesús Oliver||Partner/Director at WeAreCentric. Digital and Strategic Marketing Consultant. MSc Marketing and Sales Management , ESIC Business School.|
|Andrés Mendoza||Co-Founder and Managing Director SGR capital. Master’s Degree Corporate Finance in ESADE Business & Law School.|
|Roser de Puig||Director of the Institutional Relations, PR and Protocol of FC Barcelona. Degree in Law, Universitat de Barcelona and Master’s Degree in Sports Law, University of Lleida.|
|Mar Rotger||Former Managing Director. Management Arsenal Women´s Club Barcelona. Graduate in Physical Activity and Sport Sciences and Master’s Degree in Sport Management, Universitat de Barcelona.|
|Gabriel Escarpenter||Commercial Intelligence Manager at Euroleague Basketball. Master in Marketing from ESADE.|
|Marc Serra||Managing Director & Partner en CA Sports. Graduate in Business Management, Universitat de Barcelona. Master in Sport Management, Johan Cruyff Institute.|
|Albert Mundet||Director of Innovation, GM Barça Innovation Hub at Strategy & Innovation FC Barcelona.|
|Victor Jordán||Academic Director at Johan Cruyff Institute.|
|Ignacio Mas-Bagá||CEO at Girona Futbol Club. Event Manager, LFP World Challenge of LaLiga.|
|Jaume García Villar||Professor, Economics department from the Business and Economics School, Universitat Pompeu Fabra and Lead Investigator from the Research Center in Economics and Health (CRES).|
|José Luís Beltrán||Digital Project Manager at FC Barcelona.|
|Juanjo Rovira||Director at MIC Sports.|
|Joan Laporta Estruch||CEO at Laporta & Arbós Advocats Associats. President at FC Barcelona.|
|Rosaura Alastruey||Expert lecturer in professional networking and 2.0 tools.|
|Oriol Serra||Cluster Manager at INDESCAT, catalan sports cluster.|
|Pati Roura||Director at Fundación Cruyff.|
|Sergi Vieta||Managing Director at SPORTFIVE Iberia.|
|Manel Rión||Director at Club Natació Tennis Sant Cugat.|
|Julieta Franco||Field Hockey female line Director at Real Club de Polo de Barcelona.|
|Daniel Ramis||Head of Finance at CE Sabadell FC SAD.|
|Elisabeth Barcons||Marketing and Commercial Director at GU Port Vell. Port de Barcelona.|
|Marc Pomés||Project Manager at IRONMAN South EMEA.|
|Martijn Bakx||Media Rights Manager at MEDIAPRO.|
|Step Day||Networking event between students and companies in the sports industry. Some of participants included: CAR Sant Cugat, Catalan Tennis Federation Catalan Basketball Federation, RPM, DIR, IRONMAN Group, Iberia Sports, Fundación Cruyff, Palco 23, Tag Pay, Under Armour or MIC Football.|
|Behind the football field||Aimed at improving the understanding of the particularities of the football industry and receive advice from international experts on how to enter it.|
|Sport and Port Vell of Barcelona||Conference aimed at learning about the idiosyncrasy of Barcelona’s Port Vell and the sports activities it hosts.|
|My Trip – Alumni||Round table delivered by Alumni of Johan Cruyff Institute with the aim to present the students the different possibilities of professional careers and inspire them to create their own career paths through the master’s degree.|
|Start Ups||Session on the key elements for successful entrepreneurship in the sports sector.|
*Speakers and conferences may vary in each edition. The published ones correspond to previous editions.
GRANTSOn the grants page of UAB’ website you will find information on financial support, grants, competitions, prizes and subsidies for the university community. The site includes details of financial support offered by UAB and by other institutions that may be of interest for students.
VIRTUAL CAMPUS/WEB FACILITATED PROGRAMMEAs a student of the University Master’s Degree in Sports Management, you will have exclusive access to the learning platform which allows you to monitor your academic progress 24 hours a day, from anywhere in the world. The virtual campus offers a collaborative environment between teachers and students for sharing e-mails, chats, books, articles, case studies, simulations, experiences, websites, blogs and a video library. You will have a wide range of tools at your disposal to make your learning experience interactive, rewarding and complete.
NETWORKING & ALUMNI CRUYFF INSTITUTEJohan Cruyff Institute offers students, alumni, faculty and members of our network the opportunity to connect and collaborate, to share their passion for sports and their professional expertise.
The Alumni Cruyff Institute provides a means of interconnection that will enable the whole community not only to re-establish contact with fellow students, but also to create new links with people from the sports sector throughout the whole network who can offer new experiences and initiatives to keep growing in the profession.
The platform has been designed so you can comfortably navigate through the various areas and enjoy the offers that most interest or adapt to the needs of alumni at any given time. In the Learning Area, you will find resources that will allow you to keep up with the latest trends in the sector, participate in our webinars or access pre-recorded academic sessions, as well as many other resources.
The Alumni Cruyff Institute platform’s Networking section provides a meeting point for alumni to get in touch, share experiences, network, discuss ideas and create positive synergies for the benefit of all. Those who play in this ‘League’ will enjoy the Cruyff Alumni Club, where all Alumni members (organized by center) will have at their disposal numerous academic and leisure activities and events organized in the different countries.
In a later stage, the Alumni Cruyff Institute will offer platform members support in managing their professional development through the Career Services section (job offers and internships). There will also soon be the Cruyff Alumni Shop, an online store where you can purchase official Johan Cruyff Institute products exclusively.
INTERNSHIPSThe University Master’s Degree in Sports Management includes an optional module of 9 ECTS credits for an internship. The External Placement Program (PPE, for its initials in Spanish) matches supply and demand for places in order to enable students of the Johan Cruyff Institute to gain professional experience in the sector and put their knowledge of sport management into practice.
The Johan Cruyff Institute has collaboration agreements in place with the following organizations, in order to foster the education of sports professionals: Centre d’Alt Rendiment (CAR), Club Joventut de Badalona, Girona FC, The IRONMAN Group, Basquet Andorra, Play & Train, among others.
UAB STUDENTAll students of the University Master’s Degree in Sports Management can benefit from the services offered by the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona at the Bellaterra Campus, including among many others:
- Employment opportunities and advisory service: Treball Campus
- Impulse program for entrepreneurs: UAB Emprèn
- Language services and teaching: Servei de Llengües, UAB Idiomes
- High-level sports facilities
- Library network
- Service to the disability program
- Publishing services
- On campus accommodation
The Casa Convalescència, one of the last great works of Catalan Modernism (Lluís Domènech i Montaner), forms part of the complex of the Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, designed in the late 19th century.
The whole hospital complex, including the Casa, was declared Historical Artistic Monument in 1978 and World Cultural Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1997.
UAB-Casa Convalescència is currently the headquarters of the Foundation of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (FUAB).