- Qualification: University Master's Degree in Sport Management from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
- Duration: 11 months. 60 ECTS
- Start: September 2024
- Modality: Online. Also available on campus in Spanish
- Language: English or Spanish
- Price: € 1,000.- Enrollment fee + € 8,540.- Tuition fee+ € 30,21.- Application fee (The Application fee is non-refundable if not admitted or not enrolled. This fee is independent from the price of the Master credit.)
- Payment methods: Payment by installments available
- Enrollment: Registration open from January 2024 until the start of the program
The program may be subject to change.
The institution reserves the right to cancel the edition of the program if it does not meet the minimum number of students.
Johan Cruyff Institute and Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) collaborate to jointly deliver the University Master’s Degree in Sports Management linked to the Faculty of Economics and Business of the UAB. The Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona was ranked the second best Spanish university in the 2022 edition of the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, occupying position 170 in the world ranking. In Europe, the UAB ranks among the Top 100 (75th position).
The University Master’s Degree in Sports Management is a 11-month program that examines the most important aspects of management applied to sport.
The main objective of the University Master’s Degree in Sports Management is to guide you in your development as an integrated sport management professional and train you in the use of management tools to recognize business opportunities, establish strategies, anticipate changes, optimize resources and analyze information with sound judgement.
LEARNING OUTCOMESUpon the completion of the program, you will be able to:
- Understand and apply the strategic and global vision of the sports industry from a business perspective.
- Create market opportunities in sports organizations.
- Use innovative sports marketing practices and effectively execute branding and sponsorship strategies.
- Lead professional teams and obtain the best results.
- Interpret finances and create strategies to finance new projects and companies.
- Optimize the management of sports facilities and events.
The University Master’s Degree in Sports Management is right for you, if:
- You’re an (ex) athlete looking for education and a degree in sport management to give your professional career a boost.
- You’re working in a business environment and want to specialize in the sports industry.
- You wish to complete your education with a Master specializing in the administration and management of sports.
- You’re a working professional who wishes to focus on a career in the sports industry.
People who have completed this Master are currently working in the areas of:
- Sports Competition (professional sports teams and event organizers).
- Governance (sports federations and associations).
- Sports Facilities and Events (championship organizers, sports clubs).
- Community Sports (foundations, government, municipalities).
- Sports Consulting (private business initiatives).
- Sports Journalism (media).
- Marketing and Sponsorship (private and public companies).
ACCESSTo access this master’s program applicants are required to hold an official Spanish university degree or other degree issued by a higher education institution of the European Higher Education Area, or other non-EU institution, that entitles access in the issuing country to attend a master’s program.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTSThe requirements for admission are:
- An official university degree or its international equivalent. * Degree qualification and academic certificates issued by institutions in countries outside the EU must be official documents issued by the competent authorities and legalized via diplomatic channels or, where necessary, via the Hague Apostille.
- For the English language group, a level corresponding to B2 level of English in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) is required. Similarly, for the Spanish group, a level of Spanish corresponding to the CEFR B2 level is required.
- All candidates who cannot accredit an official university degree in Business Administration and Management, Economics, Marketing, Tourism or equivalents are required to take an entrance exam for the master’s degree.
- Depending on the results obtained in the entrance exam, the student may be required to take extra courses in order to access the Master’s Degree.
* Depending on your degree you may be asked to take complementary courses as a prerequisite for admission (4 ECTS each one).
- Certified photocopy of the official university degree necessary for admission to Master, or photocopy of the degree along with the original.In the case the Hague Apostille will be necessary, it should clearly appear on the certified photocopy.
- Certified photocopy of university transcript, or photocopy of transcript along with official transcript.
- ID Photocopy.
- 2 passport photos.
- Registration form completed for the Official Masters Degree in Sport Management.
SELECTION CRITERIAIn the candidate selection procedure (max 5 points) the following evaluation criteria will be applied:
- Suitability of the candidate’s profile to the objectives and contents of the program (up to 2.5 points). The assessment of the suitability of the candidate’s profile will be made based on the result obtained in the entrance test (if necessary) and a presentation letter of a maximum length of two pages in which the candidate will present their qualifications to the Master’s profile and professional objectives.
- Academic record: it will be valued in accordance with the regulations for the assessment of academic records of the UAB (up to 1.5 points).
- Professional experience: professional experience will be valued positively, especially if this experience has been obtained in the field of Sports Management. (up to 1 point) (up to 0.5 points)
- The content of two letters of recommendation (0.5 points). A letter from a university professor and another letter from a professional field will be especially valued.
APPLICATION PROCESSPre-enrollment is done through the website of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB), by clicking on this link PRE-ENROLLMENT or the button on the top right of this page. Once on the UAB site, you will be explained all the steps you must follow to complete your enrollment. The last step to complete your enrollment will be in person at the registrar’s office of the Johan Cruyff Institute. If you are unable to attend, we will ask you to send us all the necessary documentation to complete the enrollment process for you.
The study plan of the University Master’s Degree in Sports Management consists of 10 compulsory study subjects.
ECONOMICS OF SPORT AND STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT
- Analysis of the demand and supply of sport events
- Study of production theory in the sporting events market
- Analysis of cost structure of sport clubs and the trend towards debt
- Analysis of institutions and governance of sport, analysing the role of clubs, leagues and federations
- Rationality and incentives in sport
- Introduction to the legal framework of the sport industry
- Definition of strategy
- Strategic planning
- Analysis of the sector
- Management strategies
- Resource-based company vision
- Creating sustainable competitive advantage
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT OF SPORT ORGANIZATIONS
- Profit and loss structure: economic ratios
- Balance sheet structure: financial ratios
- Financial-economic diagnosis
- Financial and capital planning
- Funding: ways to finance sport business; taxation
- Analysis and assessment of sport investment projects
INNOVATION, ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND LEADERSHIP IN THE SPORTS SECTOR
- Leadership styles
- Attracting talent
- Recruitment 2.0
- Efficient team management
- Growing the business: Generation of change
- Human resources or Human capital?
- Roles and competences
- Retention and talent development
- Training, education and trends
- Assessment indicators and HR management
- Innovative businesses
- Management model and value creation
- Entrepreneurship: the entrepreneurial process
- Managing creativity
- Design and innovation of business models for the sport industry and creation of sport businesses. Social entrepreneurship
- Marketing vs sport marketing
- Principles of marketing
- Market research in sport
- Consumer behavior
- Sport marketing strategies and plans
- International sport marketing
- Planning and strategy in sport marketing
- Brand development
- Advertising and communication in sport
- The future of sport
- Principles and values of sponsorship
- Stakeholder engagement framework
- Key factors in sponsorship
- Marketing and communications strategy for sponsorship
- Types of sponsorship
- Sponsorship objectives
- Comparison of sponsorship within and beyond the sport industry
SPORTS FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
- Strategic planning of facilities: elements that make up the sport market
- Factors that affect the viability of a facility
- The implementation of sport services
- Tools to design and promote sport services
- Pricing strategy
- Design of working processes and organisational structure
- Management control systems
- Scorecard design and control
- Identification of the economic viability of a facility
- Incomes and expenses of sport facilities
SPORTS EVENTS MANAGEMENT
- Types of events
- Organisational models
- Stages of the event
- Economic management
- Event marketing
- Staff & volunteers
- Risk Management
To choose between two electives:
- Internship (9 ECTS)
- Emerging Trends in the Sports Industry (9 ECTS)
- Development of a business plan or research project
The program includes visits to sports entities and facilities, guided by staff members, in order to learn more about their management, such as La Masía (FC Barcelona), Estadi Johan Cruyff (FC Barcelona), Spotify Camp Nou (FC Barcelona), Centre d’Alt Rendiment (CAR), RCDE Stadium (RCD Espanyol), Estadi Municipal de Montilivi (Girona FC), Circuit de Catalunya, Johan Cruyff Arena (AFC Ajax), Real Club de Tenis Barcelona, among others.
- University Master’s Degree* in Sports Management from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
The price of the program does not include the administrative fee for the issuance of the Official Master’s diploma (€218.15 in 2022). As it is an official degree, this can take between 12 and 24 months. Once you have requested it, the UAB Academic Management Service will give you a provisional diploma certificate valid for all purposes until you receive the official diploma.
*Here you can read about the differences between Specific Master’s Degrees and University Master’s Degrees.
The University Master’s Degree in Sports Management puts you at the center of your education. You will enjoy learning based on a learning-by-doing methodology. We encourage collaborative work and transfer the content to specific situations in sport management (connective teaching methodologies and social constructivism). Our expert faculty staff will guide you in the learning process, providing high quality training with the flexibility of online study.
The Johan Cruyff Institute uses a learning environment rich in educational tools to foster a model based on the interaction between the student, the group and the teacher.
- Learning 3.0: flexible schedules, different learning environments and technologies.
- World-class faculty: interaction with expert faculty and industry professionals.
- Collaborative tools, teamwork, communication and debate.
- Sports-industry oriented: training that brings you closer to the business side of the sports industry.
- Learning from experience: designed for professional improvement.
The University Master’s Degree in Sports Management combines a core of university professors with teaching and research experience, and a set of experts professionally active in their areas and connected to companies and institutions in the sector.
Guest lecturers by recognized professionals in their field are also included, with the aim of bringing an added value to the Master and enriching the program.
|Ricard Esparza Masana (Co-coordinador)
|PhD in Business Economics from the Polytechnic University of Catalonia (2014). He has two master’s degrees in economics (with applications related to R+D+I). He is a professor of economic analysis at the Faculty of Economics and Business at the UAB and a researcher at the Center for Research in Entrepreneurship and Social Innovation at the UAB. His field of research focuses on innovation policies and the evaluation of R+D+I public policies, as well as the role of innovation for the development of emerging economies. He has published various articles in indexed journals on the subject, as well as other materials. He has been the principal investigator of 9 European and international projects, collaborating in research and knowledge transfer actions with entities from more than 40 countries on 6 continents. He is part of various committees and initiatives of experts from different governments, including the Generalitat de Catalunya and the European Commission. Co-coordinator of the Master’s Degree in Sports Management at the UAB-Johan Cruyff Institute.
Subject: Complementary courses in sports economics and strategic management (online English and Spanish) and Final Master’s Project (on campus, online English and Spanish).
|Francesc Trillas Jané
|PhD in Economics from the European University Institute of Florence (2000). Associate Professor of the Department of Applied Economics of the Faculty of Economics and Business of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. He was Research Fellow of the Regulation Initiative of the London Business School (1999-2002) and Visiting Scholar of UC-Berkeley (2008). He has written the book “Pan y fútbol”, published by Alternativas Económicas.
Subject: Sports Economics and Strategic Management (Sports Economics).
|Josep Torres Prunyonosa
|Doctor and graduate in Actuarial and Financial Sciences (2007). Master in Stock Markets and Financial Derivatives (2004). Diploma in Business Sciences (2000). Finance professor at different universities and business schools, financial and business consultant, and member of different boards of directors. He has held management positions in financial, insurance, real estate and higher education companies. He is a corresponding academic of the European Academy of Management and Business Economics AEDEM and a full member of the Institute of Spanish Actuaries.
Subject: Financial Management for Sport.
|Lorenzo Muriel Redondo
|PhD in Business Management and Administration from the Polytechnic University of Catalonia (2018). At the Johan Cruyff Institute he is a professor of the Innovation and Entrepreneurship subject in sports organizations (both in Spanish and English). He is Director of Organizations at the Carl Rogers Institute in Barcelona and Director of the Master’s Degree in Coaching and Leadership at the Online Business School. As well as an ICF certified coach.
Subject: Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Leadership in the Sports Sector.
|Marta Pérez Villalba
|PhD in Physical Activity, Physical Education and Sport from the University of Barcelona (2015), Master’s Degree in Corporate Social Responsibility from the Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (2019), Master’s Degree in Sports Management from the University of Lleida (2011), Master’s Degree in Projects from the Ramon Llull University (2009) and a Degree in Physical Activity and Sports Sciences from the University of Barcelona (2006). Affiliated professor at the Johan Cruyff Institute. Consultant in sports management in international projects in the Middle East.
Subject: Economics of Sport and Strategic Management (Strategic Management).
|David Hidalgo Vila
|Graduate in Economic and Business Sciences from the Pompeu Fabra University. Master in Business Administration (MBA) from ESADE Business School. General Management Program (PDG) by IESE Business School. Sport Events Management and Organization Seminar by the AISTS (International Academy of Sports Science and Technology), Lausanne (SWITZERLAND). General Manager of Grandvalira-ENSISA. General Director of the Organizing Committee of the Alpine Ski World Cup events in Grandvalira. General Director of the Candidature in the Andorra 2027 Alpine Ski World Championships. President of the Andorra Esports Cluster. Member of the World Cup and European Cup subcommittees of the International Ski Federation.
Subject: Sport Event Management.
|Jordi Viñas Fort
|MBA from Esade (2004), Master in Sport Management from Loughborough University (1997) and Bachelor of Science in Physical Activity and Sport from INEFC-Barcelona. Partner-director and founder of Itik Consultoria Esport i Lleure SL. Previously, he was general director of the Balthus wellness center in Santiago de Chile from 1999 to 2002 and manager of CD Terrassa Hockey from 1997 to 1999. He is the author of various studies on elements of the sports system, such as studies on sports clubs in Catalonia, the situation of municipal sports services, public-private collaboration systems in Catalan sports as well as sports habits of the population. He is a member of the Social and Educational Research Group on Physical Activity and Sport (GISEAFE).
Subjects: Sports Economics and Strategic Management (Strategic Management) (on campus) and Sports Facilities Management (online English and Spanish).
|Currently studying the PhD in Sports Sciences on the topic Fan Engagement in Football Europe at UCAM, Murcia. He is the Online Learning Manager at Johan Cruyff Institute, a role in which he manages and coordinates the portfolio of online programs. He teaches online courses on Sports Marketing and Fan Engagement.
Subject: Sports Sponsorship.
GRANTSOn the grants page of UAB’ website you will find information on financial support, grants, competitions, prizes and subsidies for the university community. The site includes details of financial support offered by UAB and by other institutions that may be of interest for students.
VIRTUAL CAMPUS/WEB FACILITATED PROGRAMMEAs a student of the University Master’s Degree in Sports Management, you will have exclusive access to the learning platform which allows you to monitor your academic progress 24 hours a day, from anywhere in the world. The virtual campus offers a collaborative environment between teachers and students for sharing e-mails, chats, books, articles, case studies, simulations, experiences, websites, blogs and a video library. You will have a wide range of tools at your disposal to make your learning experience interactive, rewarding and complete.
NETWORKING & ALUMNI CRUYFF INSTITUTEJohan Cruyff Institute offers students, alumni, faculty and members of our network the opportunity to connect and collaborate, to share their passion for sports and their professional expertise.
The Alumni Cruyff Institute provides a means of interconnection that will enable the whole community not only to re-establish contact with fellow students, but also to create new links with people from the sports sector throughout the whole network who can offer new experiences and initiatives to keep growing in the profession.
UAB STUDENTAll students of the University Master’s Degree in Sports Management can benefit from the services offered by the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona at the Bellaterra Campus, including among many others:
- Employment opportunities and advisory service: Treball Campus
- Impulse program for entrepreneurs: UAB Emprèn
- Language services and teaching: Servei de Llengües, UAB Idiomes
- High-level sports facilities
- Library network
- Service to the disability program
- Publishing services
- On campus accommodation