The Johan Cruyff Institute and Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) collaborate to jointly deliver the Official Master’s Degree in Sport Management linked to the Faculty of Economics and Business of the UAB. The Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona was ranked the best Spanish university in the 2016-17 edition of the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, occupying position 163 in the world ranking.
The Official Master’s Degree in Sport Management is a 11-month program that examines the most important aspects of management applied to sport.
The main objective of the Official Master’s Degree in Sport Management is to guide you in your development as an integrated sport management professional and train you in the use of management tools to recognize business opportunities, establish strategies, anticipate changes, optimize resources and analyze information with sound judgement.
LEARNING OUTCOMESUpon the completion of the program, you will be able to:
- Understand and apply strategic, global and objective vision to the sport industry from a business perspective.
- Create new market opportunities by applying an entrepreneurial spirit and a culture geared towards innovation in sport organizations.
- Use the most innovative practices in sport marketing and be more effective in brand strategy and sponsorship execution.
- Detect the key factors to lead professional teams and obtain the best results.
- Interpret the financial statements of a sport organization and create financial strategies for new products and businesses.
- Optimize the management of a sport facility and sport event.
The Official Master’s Degree in Sport Management is right for you, if:
- You’re an (ex) athlete looking for education and a degree in sport management to give your professional career a boost.
- You’re working in a business environment and want to specialize in the sports industry.
- You wish to complete your education with a Master specializing in the administration and management of sports.
- You’re a working professional who wishes to focus on a career in the sports industry.
People who have completed this Master are currently working in the areas of:
- Sports Competition (professional sports teams and event organizers).
- Governance (sports federations and associations).
- Sports Facilities and Events (championship organizers, sports clubs).
- Community Sports (foundations, government, municipalities).
- Sports Consulting (private business initiatives).
- Sports Journalism (media).
- Marketing and Sponsorship (private and public companies).
ACCESSTo access this master’s program applicants are required to hold an official Spanish university degree or other degree issued by a higher education institution of the European Higher Education Area, or other non-EU institution, that entitles access in the issuing country to attend a master’s program.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTSThe requirements for admission are:
- An official university degree or its international equivalent. * Degree qualification and academic certificates issued by institutions in countries outside the EU must be official documents issued by the competent authorities and legalized via diplomatic channels or, where necessary, via the Hague Apostille.
- For the English language group, a level corresponding to B2 level of English in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) is required. Similarly, for the Spanish group, a level of Spanish corresponding to the CEFR B2 level is required.
- All candidates who cannot accredit an official university degree in Business Administration and Management, Economics, Marketing, Tourism or equivalents are required to take an entrance exam for the master’s degree.
- Depending on the results obtained in the entrance exam, the student may be required to take extra courses in order to access the Master’s Degree.
* Depending on your degree you may be asked to take complementary courses as a prerequisite for admission (4 ECTS each one).
- Certified photocopy of the official university degree necessary for admission to Master, or photocopy of the degree along with the original.In the case the Hague Apostille will be necessary, it should clearly appear on the certified photocopy.
- Certified photocopy of university transcript, or photocopy of transcript along with official transcript.
- ID Photocopy.
- 2 passport photos.
- Registration form completed for the Official Masters Degree in Sport Management.
SELECTION CRITERIAIn the candidate selection procedure (max 5 points) the following evaluation criteria will be applied:
- Suitability of the candidate for the objectives and content of the program (up to 1 point). The candidate’s suitability will be assessed based on a written presentation of a maximum of two pages in which the candidate will present his suitability for the master’s program and his professional objectives.
- Academic record, which will be assessed according to the rules for the assessment of academic records of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (up 1.5 points).
- Professional experience which will be positively assessed, especially if this experience has been obtained in the field of sport management (up to 1 point).
- The contents of two letters of introduction (0.5 points): one from a university professor and another from someone in the professional field will be especially valued.
- Personal interview with the academic coordination team of the master’s program (up to 1 point).
APPLICATION PROCESSPre-enrollment is done through the website of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB), by clicking on this link PRE-ENROLLMENT or the button on the top right of this page. Once on the UAB site, you will be explained all the steps you must follow to complete your enrollment. The last step to complete your enrollment will be in person at the registrar’s office of the Johan Cruyff Institute. If you are unable to attend, we will ask you to send us all the necessary documentation to complete the enrollment process for you.
The study plan of the Official Master’s Degree in Sport Management consists of 9 compulsory study modules.
ECONOMICS OF SPORT AND STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT
- Analysis of supply and demand for sport events
- Study of production theory in the sporting events market
- Analysis of cost structure of sport clubs and the trend towards debt
- Analysis of institutions and governance of sport, analysing the role of clubs, leagues and federations
- Rationality and incentives in sport
- Introduction to the legal framework of the sport industry
- Definition of strategy
- Strategic planning
- Analysis of the sector
- Management strategies
- Resource-based company vision
- Creating sustainable competitive advantage
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT OF SPORT ORGANIZATIONS
- Profit and loss structure: economic ratios
- Balance sheet structure: financial ratios
- Financial-economic diagnosis
- Financial and capital planning
- Funding: ways to finance sport business; taxation
- Analysis and assessment of sport investment projects
MANAGEMENT, INNOVATION AND LEADERSHIP OF SPORT ORGANIZATIONS
- Leadership styles
- Attracting talent
- Recruitment 2.0
- Efficient team management
- Growing the business: Generation of change
- Human resources or Human capital?
- Roles and competencies
- Retention and talent development
- Training, education and trends
- Assessment indicators and HR management
- Innovative businesses
- Management model and value creation
- Entrepreneurship: the entrepreneurial process
- Managing creativity
- Design and innovation of business models for the sport industry and creation of sport businesses. Social entrepreneurship
- Marketing vs sport marketing
- Principles of marketing
- Market research in sport sector
- Consumer behavior
- International sport marketing
- Planning and strategy in sport marketing
- Brand development
- Advertising and communication in sport
- The future of sport
- Principles and values of sponsorship
- Stakeholder engagement framework
- Key factors in sponsorship
- Marketing and communications strategy for sponsorship
- Types of sponsorship
- Sponsorship objectives
- Comparison of sponsorship within and beyond the sport industry
- Strategic planning of facilities: elements that make up the sport market
- Factors that affect the viability of a facility
- The implementation of sport services
- Tools to design and promote sport services
- Pricing strategy
- Design of working processes and organisational structure
- Management control systems
- Scorecard design and control
- Identification of the economic viability of a facility
- Incomes and expenses of sport facilities
- Types of events
- Organisational models
- Stages of the event
- Economic management
- Event marketing
- Staff and volunteers
- Risk management
- These are training activities developed by students within any public or private, national or international entity in order to enable students to implement and complement the training acquired, bring them closer to the business reality in which they will exercise their professional activity, and help them to develop skills that will facilitate their inclusion into the labor market.
- Development of a business plan or research project
- Official Master’s Degree in Sport Management from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
- Master’s Diploma in Sport Management from the Johan Cruyff Institute
The Official Master’s Degree in Sport Management puts you at the center of your education. You will enjoy learning based on a learning-by-doing methodology. We encourage collaborative work and transfer the content to specific situations in sport management (connective teaching methodologies and social constructivism). Our expert faculty staff will guide you in the learning process, providing high quality training with the flexibility of online study.
The Johan Cruyff Institute uses a learning environment rich in educational tools to foster a model based on the interaction between the student, the group and the teacher.
- Learning 3.0: flexible schedules, different learning environments and technologies.
- World-class faculty: interaction with expert faculty and industry professionals.
- Collaborative tools, teamwork, communication and debate.
- Sports-industry oriented: training that brings you closer to the business side of the sports industry.
- Learning from experience: designed for professional improvement.
The Official Master’s Degree in Sport Management combines a core of university professors with teaching and research experience, with a set of experts professionally active in their subjects and linked to companies and institutions in the sector.
Guest lecturers by recognized professionals in their field are also planned, with the aim of bringing an added value to the Master and enriching the program.
|Dra. Mª Carmen Alarcón del-Amo||PhD in Business Strategy and Marketing, Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha|
|Dr. Marc Bernardich Márquez||PhD in Creation, Direction and Management of SMEs, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. CEO of Bàsquet Manresa SAE (ICL Manresa)|
|Dr. Miguel Capelleras Segura||PhD in Economics and Business, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona|
|Dr. Santiago Guerrero Boned||PhD in Economics and Business, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona|
|Dra. Pilar López Belbeze||PhD in Economics and Business, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona|
|Dra. Nuria Masferrer Llabinés||PhD in Economics and Business, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona|
|Dra. Carlota Menéndez Planes||PhD in Economics and Business, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona|
|Dra. Judith Panadés Martí||PhD in Economics, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona|
|Dr. Carles Solà Belda||PhD in Economics and Business, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. IDEA doctoral programme. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona|
|Dr. Josep Torres Pruñonosa||PhD in Financial Economics. Universidad de Extremadura|
|Dr. Francisco Trillas Jané||PhD in Economics, European University Institute|
|Dr. Jordi Viñas Fuente||student on the PhD program in Physical Activity and Sport, University of Lleida|
|Cinto Ajram Tarés||Consulting Manager at Johan Cruyff Institute. Graduate in Economics. University of Barcelona|
|Rosaura Alastruey||Founder and director of Proyectos TIC, a professional networking company. Graduate in Information Sciences, University of Barcelona|
|Raúl Ciprés Díaz||CEO at Creativialab. Graduate in Industrial Engineering, University of Barcelona|
|Marc Caballé||Project manager at Summa Sports. Graduate in Physical Activity and Sports Sciences, National Institute of Physical Education of Catalonia (INEFC)|
|Óscar García Figueras||Director of Atlas Sport Consulting. Graduate in Physical Activity and Sports Sciences, INEFC, University of Barcelona|
|David Hidalgo Vila||General Director, Grandvalira-ENSISA (Andorra). Graduate in Economics and Business, Pompeu Fabra University|
|Toni Jorba Ariño||Consultant on events management for the IAAF. Graduate in Business Management and Administration, ESADE Business School|
|Yolanda Tarango||Partner-director DOBAJU, SL. Graduate in Industrial Engineering. Escola Superior d’Enginyers Industrials de Terrassa|
|Jordi Gibert||Engineer & MBA, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC). Diploma in Sport Management (BRAFA, DIBA). Consultant & professor, Blanquerna Department, Universitat Ramon Llull|
|Jordi Adell||Director, BCB Gestors|
|Todd Beane||Co-founder, Cruyff Football|
|Xavier Esteve||CLuster manager, INDESCAT – Catalan Sports Cluster|
|Valentí Giro||Head consultant, Axialent|
|Juan Andrés Hernando||Founding partner Hernando & Sauqué|
|Joan Porcar||Managing director, Grupo Alesport|
|Isidre Rigau||Director, Summa Sports. Consultant on strategic planning, Guadalajara 2017 FINA World Championships|
|Pati Roura||Director of the Johan Cruyff Foundation-Spain|
|Albert Tomás||Head of the sports area, Ribé Salat insurance and reinsurance broker; former footballer at FC Barcelona|
|Gabriel Mafurroll||President of Fundació Laureus, founder of Wings 4 Business|
|Paco Medina||General director, Open Camp|
|Juanjo Rovira||Director, MIC Sports Services & MICFootball|
|Joan Fontseré||General director, Circuit de Catalunya|
GRANTSOn the grants page of UAB’ website you will find information on financial suppport, grants, competitions, prizes and subsidies for the university community. The site includes details of financial support offered by UAB and by other institutions that may be of interest for students.
On this website you will find a specific page for the official masters’ grants.
VIRTUAL CAMPUS/WEB FACILITATED PROGRAMMEAs a student of the Official Master’s Degree in Sport Management, you will have exclusive access to the learning platform which allows you to monitor your academic progress 24 hours a day, from anywhere in the world. The virtual campus offers a collaborative environment between teachers and students for sharing e-mails, chats, books, articles, case studies, simulations, experiences, websites, blogs and a video library. You will have a wide range of tools at your disposal to make your learning experience interactive, rewarding and complete.
NETWORKING & ALUMNI CRUYFF INSTITUTEJohan Cruyff Institute offers students, alumni, faculty and members of our network the opportunity to connect and collaborate, to share their passion for sports and their professional expertise.
The Alumni Cruyff Institute provides a means of interconnection that will enable the whole community not only to re-establish contact with fellow students, but also to create new links with people from the sports sector throughout the whole network who can offer new experiences and initiatives to keep growing in the profession.
The platform has been designed so you can comfortably navigate through the various areas and enjoy the offers that most interest or adapt to the needs of alumni at any given time. In the Learning Area, you will find resources that will allow you to keep up with the latest trends in the sector, participate in our webinars or access pre-recorded academic sessions, as well as many other resources.
The Alumni Cruyff Institute platform’s Networking section provides a meeting point for alumni to get in touch, share experiences, network, discuss ideas and create positive synergies for the benefit of all. Those who play in this ‘League’ will enjoy the Cruyff Alumni Club, where all Alumni members (organized by center) will have at their disposal numerous academic and leisure activities and events organized in the different countries.
In a later stage, the Alumni Cruyff Institute will offer platform members support in managing their professional development through the Career Services section (job offers and internships). There will also soon be the Cruyff Alumni Shop, an online store where you can purchase official Johan Cruyff Institute products exclusively.
INTERNSHIPSThe Official Master’s Degree in Sport Management Online includes a compulsory external internship (6 ECTS credits). The External Placement Program (PPE, for its initials in Spanish) matches supply and demand for places in order to enable students of the Johan Cruyff Institute to gain professional experience in the sector and put their knowledge of sport management into practice. The Johan Cruyff Institute has collaboration agreements in place with different organizations, in order to foster the education of sports professionals.
In the event of living in areas where the Johan Cruyff Institute does not have collaborating institutions, students of the Online Official Master’s Degree have the option to find the sports organization where they would like to do the internship for themselves, and the Johan Cruyff Institute will support them throughout the process.
UAB STUDENTAll students of the Official Master’s Degree in Sport Management can benefit from the services offered by the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona at the Bellaterra Campus, including among many others:
- Employment opportunities and advisory service: Treball Campus
- Impulse program for entrepreneurs: UAB Emprèn
- Language services and teaching: Servei de Llengües, UAB Idiomes
- High-level sports facilities
- Library network
- Service to the disability program
- Publishing services
- On campus accommodation
- Degree: Official Master’s Degree in Sport Management from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
- Duration: 11 months. 60 ECTS
- Start: September 17, 2018
- Modality: Online. Also available on campus in Spanish
- Language: English or Spanish
- Price: € 1,000.- Enrollment fee + € 7,880.- Tuition fee+ € 30,21.- Application fee (The Application fee is non-refundable if not admitted or not enrolled. This fee is independent from the price of the Master credit.)
- Payment methods: Payment by installments available
- Enrollment: Registration open until the start of the program
The program may be subject to change.
The institution reserves the right to cancel the edition of the program if it does not meet the minimum number of students.