- Qualification: Certificate for the Course in Communication in Football from Johan Cruyff Institute
- Duration: 5 weeks. 3 ECTS (weekly dedication of 10 hours)
- Start: June 4, 2024
- Modality: Online
- Language: English or Spanish
- Price: € 658.- (Fees for the academic year 2023-24)
- Special conditions: Discount for members of partner entities
- Enrollment: Registration open until the start of the course
The program may be subject to change.
The institution reserves the right to cancel the edition of the program if it does not meet the minimum number of students.
Communication is a key-element to understanding the history of Football and how it evolved through time. Knowing the different types of media and how they connect the media to the game leads to a better comprehension of the Football Business.
The main objective in the Course of Communication and Football is to give you a general knowledge on how different media works and their connection with the Football Industry. The idea is to go beyond theory, providing case studies and product analysis of how media and football walk together.
- Be able to understand the importance and the power of media in a football environment.
- Be able to develop and evaluate media projects related to football clubs and organizations.
- Be able to identify the ongoing changes of media formats and how they will impact the industry in the future.
The program is aimed at those who wish to complement their education with a specialized Course in Communication in Football.
It is especially suitable for you, if:
- You are an (ex-)athlete who wants to receive specialized education in communication in football.
- You are working or want to work in the sports industry and want to gain a better understanding of communication in football.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTSIn order to take this course it is recommended to have some knowledge of sport management or football business.
ADMISSION PROCEDUREPlease complete the sign up form if you are interested in studying this program. Once we have confirmed payment, our academic department will contact you.
The program has three credits (ECTS), distributed over five weeks. The course is composed of various teaching units (UD) and each one includes a continuous assessment test, in which you interactively apply theory, complemented with solving exercises and practical cases.
HISTORY OF MEDIA IN FOOTBALL
- First steps
- The Radio Era
- The TV Era and the first football popstars (Pelé, Di Stefano)
- The first sponsors
- Press, Magazines
- The Internet Revolution
- Different media and different roles
- Journalism techniques
- Storytelling in football
- The stories beyond the game
- Scoops, data and the ways to build a story
- History of Media Rights
- The importance of Media Rights in modern football
- Media Rights models
- The Premier League x The Spanish League division
- Media rights as a source of income
- The clubs as media players
- The Social Media revolution
- Players that became bigger than media (and countries)
- New roles and ways to communicate
- Content creation x journalism
- OTT, streaming, Twitch, podcasts
- Will the traditional TV survive?
- Companies buying rights and entering the sports business (Amazon, Netflix, HBO)
- DAZN (exclusive sports streaming)
- Twitch (Kings League)
- Media Coverage – Pelé (World)
- The Athletic – International / content creation of 433 (memes, etc)
- OTT – Goal Mundial (Spain)
Certificate for the Course in Communication in Football from Johan Cruyff Institute.
TUTORINGThe program will have a professor assigned to it, who will organize the course and provide instructions. The professor is responsible for supporting the students throughout the training process and monitoring their progress on the program.
- E-mail: students will receive a reply within a maximum of 24 hours.
- Support via chat / call / video conference.
- Learning 3.0: flexible schedules, different learning environments and technologies.
- World-class faculty: interaction with expert faculty and industry professionals.
- Collaborative tools, teamwork, communication and debate.
- Sports-industry oriented: training that approaches the business sector of the sports industry.
- Learning from experience: designed for professional improvement.
The Johan Cruyff Institute teachers are experts from the sports sector and combine research and consultancy with teaching. Through their experience and knowledge, they have developed a broad variety of cases and concepts to work with.
VIRTUAL CAMPUSAs a student of the Course in Communication in Football, you’ll have exclusive access to the learning platform that will allow you to track your academic progress 24 hours a day from anywhere in the world. The virtual campus provides a collaborative environment between professors and students facilitating e-mails, chats, videos, books articles, case studies, simulations, experiences, websites, blogs and a video library. You’ll have a wide range of tools at your disposal so your learning experience can be interactive, enriching and complete.
NETWORKING & ALUMNI CRUYFF INSTITUTEJohan Cruyff Institute offers students, alumni, faculty and members of our network the opportunity to connect and collaborate, to share their passion for sports and their professional expertise.
The Alumni Cruyff Institute provides a means of interconnection that will enable the whole community not only to re-establish contact with fellow students, but also to create new links with people from the sports sector throughout the whole network who can offer new experiences and initiatives to keep growing in the profession.