The FC Barcelona Master in Football Business by Johan Cruyff Institute has been created with the ambition to be the only program in football business and administration based on the management model of FC Barcelona, recognized worldwide, as well as the on great experience of the Johan Cruyff Institute in sport management education.
The main objective of the FC Barcelona Master in Football Business by Johan Cruyff Institute is to educate with in-depth and up-to-date knowledge and insights from the football industry. Students will analyze the core theories and relevant case studies that will help them visualize the behavior of the football business. Students will also have the opportunity to learn, interact and contribute with FC Barcelona business strategy and operations.
- Understand the core theories that drive the football business and its organizational behavior and the existing interconnections between different players.
- Expand the necessary set of skills for managing clubs and other football related organizations in line with their stakeholder framework.
- Enhance the critical perception of the trends of the business and visualize the future developments of the football industry.
- Develop your leadership skills in order to improve the positive impact in the entire football environment.
The target audience of the program is diverse, ranging from qualified individuals wanting to pursue their dream job in the football industry, to well-established football business professionals who want to further develop their career, and current and former athletes who want to expand their knowledge in this area.
People who will complete this Master will be able to work in the following areas:
- Football club governing bodies (football federations and associations).
- Football facilities & events (tournament organizers, sports clubs).
- Community-based football (foundations, municipal governments).
- Sports consultancy (business initiatives).
- Intermediation services (agencies, player representation).
- Sports journalism (media).
- Marketing & sponsorship (private and public companies).
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTSWe are looking for highly-driven and engaged candidates with proven experience in football business or in high-performance business not related to football combined with a strong business academic background from a well-known university. Athletes with relevant work experience in the football business can enroll in the Master. Candidates with no previous experience will need to have a relevant academic background to be eligible for selection. A good understanding of financial knowledge or experience is also expected. In case this is not clear from the information provided, you may be asked to provide us with additional financial knowledge certification or to take an online test created by the Johan Cruyff Institute. The minimum level of English proficiency required is a score of IELTS 6.0, or equivalent, if the candidate attended a non-English speaking undergraduate university.
SELECTION CRITERIAWe select hardworking candidates who have strong leadership and problem-solving abilities combined with great communication, teamwork and interpersonal skills. We are seeking challenging and critically thinking students that will have a strong positive impact in the football business and in the overall community, and who will be able to contribute to building the future of the sport. The admission process will consider all parts of these requirements, together with professional experience and educational background. Meeting all the minimum requirements will not guarantee your admission, but you will be invited to pass to the next stage of the application process.
- Complete the online application form and pay the application fee (€ 140 non-refundable).
- You will need to submit the following:
- Three essays (maximum 500 words) on:
- Your view of the global football business.
- The situation of the football business in your country.
- How you will be able to contribute towards improving the football business in your country.
- Your résumé.
- A cover letter of maximum 500 words introducing yourself and stating your purpose.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Official transcripts.
- Three essays (maximum 500 words) on:
- If the first stage of your application is successful, you will be invited for an online interview. In this interview we will evaluate if your achievements as well as your aspirations and motivations in pursuing this degree, are in line with the objectives of the program. As a last step, you may be asked to provide us with additional financial knowledge certification or take an online test created by Johan Cruyff Institute.
- The Admissions Committee decides on approval of admission.
The study plan of the FC Barcelona Master in Football Business by Johan Cruyff Institute consists of 10 compulsory study modules.
THE ESSENCE OF THE FOOTBALL BUSINESS
- The History of Football
- The Evolution of the Football Business
- The Modern Football Industry
- The Fundamentals of the Football Business
GOVERNANCE AND POLITICS IN FOOTBALL
- The Role of Football Clubs and Governing Bodies
- Football Governance and Ownership
- The Politics of Football
- Football and Governments
FOOTBALL AND MONEY
- Generating Revenue in Football
- The Flow of Money in Football
- Money and Performance
- Expenditure, Debt and Insolvency in Football
FANS AND CUSTOMERS OF FOOTBALL
- The Sociology of Fandom
- Differentiating Fans in Football
- Managing Fans and Customers
- Fan Engagement
SHORT COURSES WITH PROFESSIONAL INSIGHTS INTO THE FOOTBALL INDUSTRY
- These courses provide students with the views on multiple aspects of the football business from key industry professionals.
FC BARCELONA “MÉS QUE UN CLUB”
- History of Catalunya
- History of FC Barcelona
- FC Barcelona and the Community
- FC Barcelona Global
FC BARCELONA BUSINESS STRATEGY
- Organization Overview
- Business Strategy
- Marketing Strategy
- Sport Strategy
INSIGHTS INTO FC BARCELONA OPERATIONS
- Facility Management
- Marketing and Communications
- Club Finances
- Human Resources and Legal Issues
FC BARCELONA SPORTS INSIGHTS
- FC Barcelona Philosophy
- Developing Talent
- Football Science
- Sports Science
FC BARCELONA MANAGEMENT GAMES
- Basic Project Management
- Complex Project Management
- Key Project Management
DEGREEFC Barcelona Master in Football Business by Johan Cruyff Institute.
Our exclusive model that combines academic studies with football industry insights and learning directly from FC Barcelona will provide students with a great capacity to understand the business and the role of the organization in the overall football market, as well as increase their abilities for leadership and decision-making in order to achieve the best possible results with the available resources.
We have recruited some of the most recognized football business academics around the globe in order to provide students with the most cutting-edge knowledge of the football business. During the program, students will also receive lectures from top level executives in the industry as well as courses with FC Barcelona staff.
||Richard DentonRichard has been working in the sport marketing and entertainment business since 1989. He has worked for global brands such as Canon, Philips, Omega, ABN AMRO, Heineken and Unilever, across a variety of sport and events including the FIFA World Cup, UEFA Champions League, Formula 1, Volvo Ocean Race, PGA European golf tour, the Ryder Cup, Wimbledon, Roland Garros and the Olympic Games. His most recent position was managing director of one of Holland’s leading sport marketing agencies, Trefpunt-PRISM, from November 2009 until September 2015. Richard is now a freelance marketing consultant advising brands and sport organizations.|
||Irsan WidartoEntrepreneur at heart. Proven business acumen. Co-founder/CTO of X-Hive Corporation, in 2007 acquired by EMC Corporation. Currently Director of Engineering at EMC Corporation. Looking for start-up opportunities (investment, advice, board membership). Specialties: connecting people, team management & development, project management, innovation, software development.|
||Richard GiulianottiProfessor of Sociology, Loughborough University and at Durham University ; Research Assistant, Senior Lecturer, Reader, Department of Sociology- University of Aberdeen (1990-2006). He completed his MA. MLitt and PhD in the Department of Sociology at the University of Aberdeen, and took up his first academic post there as a Research Assistant (1990), followed by a Lectureship (1995), Senior Lectureship (1999), and Readership (2005). Authored books: (& G. Armstrong, D. Hobbs) Policing the London 2012 Olympics, London, Routledge, in press (2016). Sport: A Critical Sociology, Cambridge, Polity, 2015 (Revised Edition). (& R. Robertson) Globalization and Football, London, TCS/Sage, 2009. (& A.J. Walsh) Ethics, Money and Sport, London, Routledge, 2006. Football: A Sociology of the Global Game, Cambridge, Polity, 1999.|
||David GoldblattDavid Goldblatt is a sports writer, broadcaster, sociologist, journalist and author. He has been a medical student, taken a doctorate in social theory and environmental politics, lectured at the Faculty of Social Sciences, the Open University and wrote widely on globalization before, in 2002, publishing the World Football Yearbook – a 750-page graphic encyclopedia of the global game – in nine languages. In 2006 he published the path-breaking The Ball is Round: A Global History of Football, and in 2014 published Futebol Nation : A Footballing History of Brazil and The Game of Our Lives: The Making and Meaning of English Football, the latter winning the William Hill Sports Book of the Year award in 2015. His most recent book is The Games: A Global History of the Olympics.|
||Alan TomlinsonAlan Tomlinson BA, MA, PGCE, DPhil, FAcSS is Professor of Leisure Studies in the School of Humanities, College of Arts and Humanities, University of Brighton UK. He studied Humanities, majoring in English and Sociology at the University of Kent before undertaking Master’s and Doctoral degrees in Sociological Studies in Graduate School at the University of Sussex. He is especially well known for his critical interdisciplinary studies on sport and spectacle and on the sociology and politics of world governing bodies of sport such as FIFA and the IOC. His books include FIFA and the Contest for World Football: Who Rules the Peoples’ Game?; Sport and Leisure Cultures; FIFA: The Men, the Myths and the Money; Football, Corruption and Lies: Revisiting ‘Badfellas’, the Book FIFA Tried to Ban; and Understanding International Sport Organisations: Principles, Power and Possibilities .|
||Stephen MorrowStephen is Senior Lecturer in Sport Finance at the University of Stirling. He was Head of the Department of Sports Studies for five years until summer 2011. Stephen is a Chartered Accountant (ICAS) and trained with the international firm of accountants, Ernst & Young. His research focuses on financial, accounting and governance issues arising in sport. He has written two single-authored books and two monographs on the finances and governance of professional football and a number of journal papers. His knowledge transfer activities include leading workshops on Management Training for Football Managers as part of the Scottish FA/UEFA Pro Licence. He recently chaired an expert working group for the Scottish Government on Supporter Involvement in Football Clubs.|
||Oliver SeitzDr Oliver Seitz is the Academic Director of the FC Barcelona Master in Football Business by Johan Cruyff Institute and Football Business Development at the Johan Cruyff Institute, where he leads the projects in consultancy for clubs and other organizations. Before joining the Institute, Dr Seitz worked as a consultant and as a lecturer in Football Business at the UCFB in London in partnership with The FA. Prior to moving to London, he lived in Brazil, working as the Head of Marketing of Jacquet Brossard, a French multinational consumer goods company, and previously as Head of Marketing of Coritiba Football Club, where, in 2012, he was awarded the Best Overseas Marketing Campaign by the FC Business Awards in London. Dr Seitz holds a PhD in Football Business from the University of Liverpool.|
VIRTUAL CAMPUSStudents of the FC Barcelona Master in Football Business by Johan Cruyff Institute, will have exclusive access to the e-learning platform which allows them to monitor their academic progress 24 hours a day from anywhere in the world. The virtual campus offers a collaborative environment for teachers and students to share e-mails, chats, books, articles, case studies, simulations, experiences, websites, blogs and a video library. Students will have a wide range of tools at their disposal to make their learning experience interactive, rewarding and complete.
ALUMNI AND NETWORKINGThe Johan Cruyff Institute network gives students the opportunity to connect and collaborate with other students, alumni and members of our global network, and share their passion for sport and professional experience with each other. We promote and facilitate continuous academic training. Our community is, in this sense, a network of personal, social and professional relationships, with a wide influence throughout the sports and business sectors.
CORPORATE INTERNSHIPSOur Corporate Training Program is the natural result of the global network of the Johan Cruyff Institute. The internships are an enriching learning experience for both organizations and students. They contribute to the company’s professional development, and offer students the opportunity to access sport-related businesses, experience the reality of a sport organization and acquire new practical skills and knowledge.
CAREER SERVICESThe Johan Cruyff Institute acts as a bridge between potential candidates and the corporate sports sector. Organizations and companies in the sports sector with vacancies contact us when looking for sports-minded candidates. The Johan Cruyff Institute recommends qualified people from within our network Employment opportunities and new projects in the sports sector are also announced through our various channels.
Classes are delivered at Camp Nou and Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper, among other locations.
‘Camp Nou‘ (the ‘new ground’) has a capacity of 99,354. It is the biggest stadium in Europe. In the 1998-99 seasons, UEFA recognized the services and facilities at Camp Nou by awarding it five star status.
Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper hosts the first team’s training sessions and training and competitive matches for the youth teams.
- Academic degree: FC Barcelona Master in Football Business by Johan Cruyff Institute
- Duration: 8 months, 60 ECTS
- Start: September 4, 2017
- End: May 12, 2018
- Modality: On-campus. One week per month, full intensive from Monday to Saturday.
- Language: English
- Price: € 140 Application Fee, € 1,250 Enrollment Fee and € 17,000 Tuition Fee (Previous € 20,000. We are applying a 15% discount (€ 3,000) from a *Scholarship Fund)
- Payment methods: Payment in instalments available
- Special conditions: Discount for alumni and members of related entities
- Enrollment: Registration open until the start of the Master. Limited places available.
The program may be subject to change.
The institution reserves the right to cancel the edition of the program if it does not meet the minimum number of students.