The Master in Sport Management is a 10 month program that delves into the most important aspects of management applied to sport. Classes from expert faculty members who are closely linked to the sports sector, are combined with Master Classes with exclusive speakers from the world of administration and management of sports, outdoor visits (field trips) and study trips that will enrich the experience you’ll have in Barcelona with your classmates, broadening your network of contacts in the world of sport.
The main objective of the Master in Sport Management is to guide you in your development as an integrated professional of sport management and train you in the use of management tools to recognize business opportunities, establish strategies, anticipate changes, optimize resources and analyze information with sound judgement.
- Understand and apply strategic, global and objective vision to the sports industry from a business perspective.
- Create new market opportunities by applying an entrepreneurial spirit and a culture inclined towards innovation in sport organizations.
- Use the most innovative practices in sport marketing and be more effective in brand strategy and sponsorship execution.
- Detect the key factors to lead professional teams and obtain the best results.
- Interpret the financial statements of a sports organization and create financial strategies for new products and businesses.
- Optimize the management of a sport facility and sport event.
You have the option of studying the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Management (32 ECTS) and the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Marketing (27 ECTS), or you can take modules of the Master separately as specialized courses. This way, you can earn credits towards obtaining the Master degree in a maximum period of 3 years from the start of the first module.
The Master in Sport Management is right for you, if:
- You’re an (ex) athlete looking for education and a degree in sport management to give your professional career a boost.
- You’re working in a business environment and want to specialize in the sports industry.
- You wish to complete your education with a Master specializing in the administration and management of sports.
- You’re a working professional who wishes to focus on a career in the sports industry.
People who have completed this Master are currently working in the areas of:
- Sports Competition (professional sports teams and event organizers).
- Governance (sports federations and associations).
- Sports Facilities and Events (championship organizers, sports clubs).
- Community Sports (foundations, government, municipalities).
- Sports Consulting (private business initiatives).
- Sports Journalism (media).
- Marketing and Sponsorship (private and public companies).
To be eligible for admission, you must meet one of the following requirements:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree, undergraduate diploma or the equivalent.
- Have at least 3 years experience in the area of sport management.
- Have developed a career as a professional athlete.
Note: It is advisable to have basic knowledge of the English language.
Please complete the pre-enrollment form if you are interested in studying this program. Your form will be submitted to the Admissions Committee, which will evaluate if your achievements as well as your aspirations and motivations in pursuing this Master, are in line with the objectives of the program. The admission procedure includes a personal interview with the Academic Manager. One of our academic consultants will contact you within 72 hours.
The study plan for the Master in Sport Management is comprised of 5 compulsory modules and a specialization module with elective subjects in Digital Marketing and Sports Sponsorship. The Master is completed with the presentation of the final project which is a business plan or research project.
STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT IN SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS
- The definition of strategy
- Strategic planning
- Analysis of the sector
- Management strategies
- Company vision based on resources
- Creating sustainable competitive advantage
- Marketing vs. sport marketing
- Principles of marketing
- Sports market investigation
- Consumer behavior
- Sports marketing strategies and plans
- International sport marketing
- Brand development
- Advertising and communication in sports
- The future of sport
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT IN SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS
- Interpretation of financial reports
- Analysis of financial statements
- Company investment and assessment
- Pricing and sales strategy
- Indebtness, performance and profitability
- Financial strategy
- Stocks, outsourcing & risk management
- Financial and capital planning
MANAGEMENT, INNOVATION AND LEADERSHIP IN SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS
- Innovative businesses
- Management and creation of value model
- Project management
- Leadership styles
- People and process management
- Talent development
- Expanding business: generation of change
- Social entrepreneurship
Event Management – 7 ECTS
- Event organization
- Event evaluation
- Economic balance of an event
Facility Management – 7 ECTS
- Management of a facility
- Economic budget of a facility
- Facility evaluation
- The tender procedure
- Risk management
- Volunteer management
1. Digital Marketing
- Sport in digital media
- Social sites
- Entitites, brands and athletes in the 2.0 process
- The 2.0 sports consumer
- Natural and social positioning
2. Sport Marketing & Sponsorship
- Sponsorship/media strategy
- Sponsorship from property, brand, agency and media
- Sponsorship implementation and activation
- Sports sponsorship measurement and analysis
- Sponsorship tactics
- Business plan or research work
OUTDOOR ACTIVITIESThe program includes visits to sports entities and facilities, guided by staff members, in order to learn more about its management, such as Centre d’Alt Rendiment (CAR), RCD Espanyol de Barcelona, Club Joventut Badalona, Circuit de Catalunya, Club Esportiu Laietà among others
DEGREEMaster in Sport Management of the Johan Cruyff Institute.
The Master in Sport Management puts you at the center of your education. You will enjoy learning based on a learning-by-doing methodology. We encourage collaborative work and transfer the content to specific situations in sport management (connective teaching methodologies and social constructivism). Our staff of expert faculty will guide you in the learning process, providing high quality training with the flexibility of online study.
- Learning 3.0: Flexible schedules, different learning environments and technologies.
- World-class faculty: Interaction with expert faculty and industry professionals.
- Collaborative tools, teamwork, communication and debate.
- Sports-industry oriented: Training that approaches the business sector of the sports industry.
- Learning from experience: Designed for professional improvement.
||Víctor Jordán VallverdúDegree in History. University of Barcelona. Associate professor of TecnoCampus Mataró (UPF) and UOC. Training for teachers at institutes, councils and universities on the use and application of ICT tools in the education sector. Consultant by Google Inc. for the implementation of Google Apps Education educational tool.|
||Marc CaballéDiploma in Physical Science and Bachelor of Science in Physical Activity and Sport (UB). Events Management and Sport Management Undergraduate (UAB). Professor of Sport Management and Sports Organization at Blanquerna and Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF). Sporting Events Organization Consultant. CEO and founder of Sports and Neda el Món.|
||Raúl CiprésAssociate professor at Blaquerna (URL), EAE Business School, TecnoCampus Mataró (UPF). Partner at CreativiaLab. Managing Partner at InfinitC (Mexico City, Caracas and Lisbon). Member of the Board of Directors of Club Joventut Badalona. He has been the Marketing Director of Real Club Deportivo Espanyol and Real Club de Polo de Barcelona, among others.|
||Yolanda TarangoIndustrial Engineer. Superior School of Industrial Engineering of Terrassa. Member – Director (design products and services) for the company DOBAJU, SL (Health management). Associate professor of UAB and Barcelona Activa among others. She was CEO of Management Services and Solutions for Corporations, Businesses and Individuals, SL (UNNIM Group).|
||Dr. Marc BernardichPh.D in Creation, Direction and Management of SMEs, Autonomous University of Barcelona. Responsible for Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the University Foundation of Bages. Executive Director of Basketball Manresa SAE. CEO Neòfit. Own consulting company that does creation and conceptualization of New Innovative Projects.|
||Dra. Núria MasferrerPh.D in Economics and Business from the University of Barcelona. Member of the Research Group of Economics and Uncertainty Management from UB, credited as an emerging research group by the Generalitat de Catalunya and the CEO group of the School of Maresme -UPF. Specialization in Business Financing.|
||Dr. Josep Torres PrunyonosaDoctor in Actuarial and Financial Sciences. Master in Equity Markets and Derivatives. Specialist in banking, rating of sporting bodies and ethics in finance. Associate Professor of EAE Business School, Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB) and EUNCET.|
||David HidalgoDegree in Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF). Master in Business Administration (ESADE Business School). International MBA Program Canada (Schulich School of Business, York University). Human Resources Executive Program, USA (Cornell University), General Directorate Program (IESE Business School). Corporate Director, Soldeu Ski Resort – Granvalira.|
||Óscar GarcíaBachelor of Science in Physical and Sport Activity at INEFC Barcelona. Master’s in Public Management from the University Pompeu Fabra (UPF), Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB) and ESADE. Director of Atlas Sport Consulting.|
||Agustín RiviéreDegree in Economics and Business, Universitat de Barcelona. Chartered Auditor member, General Directorate Program (IESE Business School). Certified Trainer by Dale Carnegie University. He has been General Manager at RPM Racing and currently works as trainer at Dale Carnegie Spain. During his career he has directed several sport events, such as Zurich Barcelona Marathon, Half Marathon of Barcelona eDreams, Ciclepic or L’Etape Barcelona-Andorra. He is currently organizing and leading sports and entertainment events like the Disney Magic Run held in Madrid and Barcelona.|
||Rosaura AlastrueyDegree in Information Science, Autonomous University of Barcelona. Postgraduate Diploma in Digital Marketing. Founder and Director of ProyectosTIC, a professional networking company. Associate Professor of ESADE, EADA and CAR (among others).|
||Cinto AjramBachelor of Economics (UB), Master in Financial Markets (UPF), PDD Certificate, Hedge funds and alternative investments (IEF) and Superior Sport Marketing Program (ESIC). Teaching partner in ESIC Business & Marketing School, editor in Unisport Universitas, Sponsorship Manager and Trade Marketing at Zurich Insurance Company Ltd.|
||Jordi GibertEngineer & MBA, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC). Diploma in Sport Management (BRAFA, DIBA). Consultant & Professor, Blanquerna Department, Universitat Ramon Llull. Former professional handball player, F.C. Barcelona.|
||Toni Jorba Bachelor of Business Administration and Master of Business Administration (BBA & MBA) from ESADE Business School, Barcelona. Manager in the organization of various international sporting events such as Davis Cup Final, European Athletics Championships, The London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, X Games Barcelona, FINA World Championships, Commonwealth Games, World Cup and FIBA Basketball World Handball Championship. He is currently consultant in event management for the IAAF. Also he works as a lecturer at the Blanquerna FCEEP and Tourism Sant Ignasi (Universidad Ramon Llull – URL).|
||Marcos Reinado Degree in Physical Activity and Sport by INEFC Barcelona. Postgraduate in Financial Management of Sports entities by the UB. Postgraduate in Financial Management and MBA by EUNCET (UPC). Management in Public Administration (FGAP) by ESADE. He worked as Sports counselor for the municipalities of Calafell and Matadepera, Manager in the Catalan Association of Professional Sport Managers (ACGEP), Board Member and Director of the magazine Management Esportiu in the Catalan Association of Professional Sport Managers. He is currently Partner-Director of SESPAC, SL, Partner-Director of Gempro Serveis d’Assessorament SL, and professor at Universitat de Vic and Universitat Ramon Llull.|
|Valentí Giro||Senior consultant, Axialent.|
|Jordi Adell||Associate professor at the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Open University of Catalonia (UOC). Director of BCB Gestors.|
|Pati Roura||Spain director Johan Cruyff Foundation|
|Isidre Rigau||Director, Summa Sports. Consultant, Strategic planning Guadalajara 2017 FINA World Championships.|
|Todd Beane||Co-Founder, Cruyff Football.|
|Juan Andrés Hernando||Founding Partner in Hernando & Sauqué|
|Xavier Cherta||Director in ISU Grand Prix Final of Figure Skating Barcelona 2014 and Partner in homeSPOTS|
|Xavier Esteve||Cluster Manager in INDESCAT – Catalan Sports Cluster|
|Albert Tomás||Ribé Salat Insurances Broker. Head of the Sports Department. Former player at FC Barcelona.|
VIRTUAL CAMPUSAs a student of the Master in Sport Management, you will have exclusive access to the learning platform which allows you to monitor your academic progress 24 hours a day, from anywhere in the world. The virtual campus offers a collaborative environment between teachers and students facilitating e-mails, chats, books, articles, case studies, simulations, experiences, websites, blogs and a video library. You will have a wide range of tools at your disposal to make your learning experience interactive, rewarding and complete.
ALUMNI AND NETWORKINGJohan Cruyff Institute network gives you the opportunity to connect and collaborate with other students, alumni and members of our global network, and share your passion for sport and professional experience with them. We promote and facilitate continuous academic training. Our community is, in this sense, a network of personal, social and professional relationships, and its influence expands in the sports and business sectors.
CORPORATE INTERNSHIPSOur Corporate Training Program is the natural result of the global network of the Johan Cruyff Institute. The practices are an enriching learning experience for both organizations and for students. They contribute to the company’s professional development, and offer students the opportunity to access businesses related to sports live the reality of a sport organization and acquire new practical skills and knowledge.
CAREER SERVICESJohan Cruyff Institute allows a bridge between potential candidates and the corporate sector involved in sports. Organizations and companies in the sports sector with vacancies contact us when looking for sports-minded candidates. The Johan Cruyff Institute selects qualified contacts within our network profiles. Employment opportunities and new projects in the sports sector are also announced through our various channels.
JOB IN SPORTS PLATFORMJohan Cruyff Institute enables a bridge between potential candidates and the corporate sector involved in sports. Organizations and companies in the sports sector with vacancies contact us when looking for candidates that are “sports-minded”. The Johan Cruyff Institute selects and contacts qualified profiles within our network. Employment opportunities and new projects are also announced in the sports sector through our different channels.
Classes take place at Johan Cruyff Institute Barcelona, located in the upper part of the city. The building, dating from the 20th century, offers a learning space with natural light and access to the garden to enjoy networking between sessions. The lectures will be held in a multipurpose SMART classroom which facilitates the agility and flexibility of the sessions.
- Academic degree: Master in Sport Management from the Johan Cruyff Institute
- Duration: 10 months. 60 ECTS (weekly dedication of 10-12 hours)
- Start: September 2016
- End: June 2017
Johan Cruyff Institute Barcelona
Pomaret 8, 08017 Barcelona
- Modality: On campus. Also available as executive edition: blended on campus in Barcelona & online (Spanish), on campus in Amsterdam (English) and online in English and Spanish
- Language: Spanish
- Price: € 9,500.- Euros
- Payment methods: Payment by installments available
- Special conditions: Discount for alumni and members of related entities
- Enrollment: Registration open until the start of the program. Limited seats available
The program may be subject to change.
The institution reserves the right to cancel the edition of the program if it does not meet the minimum number of students.