The sports industry has had a growing impact on the global economy over the last 20 years with investment in public infrastructure, mobilizing resources and creating new professions and jobs. Today it is one of the professional sectors with the most economic momentum, creating opportunities for many people who aspire to a future in the world of sports.
The main objective of the Master in Sport Management Online is to train you to use management tools to help you recognize business opportunities, develop strategies, anticipate changes, optimize resources and analyze information judiciously, without the obstacles of time or place and adapting the pace of study to your individual workload and availability.
- To understand and apply strategic, global and objective vision to the sports industry from a business perspective.
- To create new market opportunities by applying an entrepreneurial spirit and a culture inclined towards innovation in sport organizations.
- To use the most innovative practices in sport marketing and be more effective in brand strategy and sponsorship execution.
- To detect the key factors to lead professional teams and obtain the best results.
- To interpret the financial statements of a sports organization and create financial strategies for new products and businesses.
- To optimize the management of a sport facility and sporting event.
You have the option of studying the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Management (32 ECTS) and the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Marketing (27 ECTS), or you can take modules of the Master separately as specialized courses. This way, you can earn credits towards obtaining the Master degree in a maximum period of 3 years from the start of the first module.
The Master in Sport Management is right for you if:
- You’re an (ex-) athlete who is looking for academic education and a degree in sport management to give your professional career a boost.
- You’re working in a management environment and want a specialization in the sports industry.
- You wish to complete your education with a postgraduate degree specializing in business and
Those who have completed this Master are currently working in the areas of:
- Sports Competition (professional sports teams and event organizers)
- Governance (sports federations and associations)
- Facilities and Sport Events (championship organizers, sports clubs)
- Community Sports (foundations, municipalities)
- Sports Consulting (own business initiatives)
- Sports Journalism (media)
- Marketing and Sponsorship (private and public companies)
To be admitted, you must meet one of the following requirements:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree, diploma or equivalent.
- Have at least 3 years experience in the field of sport management.
- Have developed a career as a professional athlete.
Please complete the pre-enrollment form if you are interested in studying this program. Your form will be submitted to the Admissions Committee, which will evaluate if your achievements as well as your aspirations and motivations in pursuing this degree, are in line with the objectives of the program. The admission procedure may include a personal interview with the program manager. One of our academic consultants will contact you within 72 hours.
The program consists of 6 modules that cover all key areas of sport management. Each module has a number of teaching units (UD) and each one consists of a continuous assessment test (PAC) which works an interactive, theoretical aspect, complemented with solving exercises and practical case studies.
Once each UD is completed, you must submit the appropriate PAC before proceeding to the next one. For the Master’s final project, you will have to submit a business plan which you will have been working on with the tutor throughout the academic year. The business plan presentation can be done by videoconference or in person at the Johan Cruyff Institute in Barcelona.
STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT OF SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS
- The definition of strategy
- Strategic planning
- Analysis of the sector
- Management strategies
- Company’s vision based on resources
- Creating a sustainable competitive advantage
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT IN SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS
- Interpretation of financial reports
- Analysis of financial statements
- Investments and business assessment
- Pricing strategy and sales
- Liability,performance & profitability
- Financial strategy
- Stocks, Outsourcing y Risk Management
- Financial planning & capital
MANAGEMENT, INNOVATION AND LEADERSHIP IN SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS
- Innovative business
- Management model and value creation
- Project management
- Leadership styles
- Managing people and processes
- Talent development
- Expanding the business: generation of change
- Social entrepreneurship
- Marketing vs. Sports marketing
- Principles of marketing
- Sports market research
- Consumer behavior
- Sports marketing strategy & planning
- International sport marketing
- Brand development
- Sports advertising and communication
- The future of sports
Event management – 7 ECTS
- Event organization
- Event assessment
- Economic balance of an event
Facility management – 7 ECTS
- Sports facility management
- Economic budget of a facility
- Facility assessment
- The tender procedure
- Risk management
- Volunteer management
- Sports in digital media
- Social sites
- Entities, brands and athletes in the 2.0 process
- The 2.0 sports consumer
- Natural and social positioning
Sports marketing & sponsorship:
- Sponsorship/Media strategy
- Sponsorship from property, brand, agency and medium
- Sponsorship implementation & activation
- Sports Sponsorship measurement & analysis
- Sponsorship tactics
MASTER FINAL PROJECT
- Business plan development
Master in Sport Management from the Johan Cruyff Institute.
The Master in Sport Management puts you at the center of your education. You will enjoy learning based on a learning by doing methodology. We encourage collaborative work and transfer the content to specific situations in sport management (connective teaching methodologies and social constructivism). Our staff of expert faculty will guide you in the learning process, providing high quality training with the flexibility of online study.
PERSONALIZED TUTORINGWe will assign you a personal tutor, who will be monitoring your pace of study, adapting it to your work and/or sports schedule. At the beginning of the course you’ll create a tutorial action plan together. The tutor will make an assessment of your background, professional experience in the sector, availability and dedication to the course, and will also be responsible in guiding you in your study process, supporting you throughout the program.
Communication and queries will be handled by:
- E-mail: reply within a maximum of 24 hours.
- Support via chat / call / video conference.
- Personal tutoring for about 30 minutes, to be arranged weekly or bi-monthly.
- Learning 3.0: flexible schedules, different learning environments and technologies.
- World-class faculty: interaction with expert faculty and industry professionals.
- Collaborative tools, teamwork, communication and debate.
- Sports-industry oriented: training that approaches the business sector of the sports industry.
- Learning from experience: designed for professional improvement.
The teachers of the Johan Cruyff Institute are experts from the sports sector and combine research and consultancy with teaching. Through their experience and knowledge, they have developed a broad variety of cases and concepts to work with.
VIRTUAL CAMPUSAs a student of the Master in Sport Management, you will have exclusive access to the learning platform which allows you to monitor your academic progress 24 hours a day, from anywhere in the world. The virtual campus offers a collaborative environment between teachers and students facilitating e-mails, chats, books, articles, case studies, simulations, experiences, websites, blogs and a video library. You will have a wide range of tools at your disposal to make your learning experience interactive, rewarding and complete.
ALUMNI AND NETWORKINGThe Johan Cruyff Institute network gives you the opportunity to connect and collaborate with other students, alumni and members of our global network, and share your passion for sport and professional experience with them. We promote and facilitate continuous academic training. Our community is, in this sense, a network of personal, social and professional relationships, and its influence expands in the sports and business sectors.
CORPORATE INTERNSHIPSOur Corporate Training Program is the natural result of the global network of the Johan Cruyff Institute. The practices are an enriching learning experience for both organizations and for students. They contribute to the company’s professional development, and offer students the opportunity to access businesses related to sports live the reality of a sport organization and acquire new practical skills and knowledge.
CAREER SERVICESThe Johan Cruyff Institute allows a bridge between potential candidates and the corporate sector involved in sports. Organizations and companies in the sports sector with vacancies contact us when looking for sports-minded candidates. The Johan Cruyff Institute selects qualified contacts within our network profiles. Employment opportunities and new projects in the sports sector are also announced through our various channels.
- Academic degree: Master in Sport Management from the Johan Cruyff Institute
- Duration: 13 months. 60 ECTS (weekly dedication of 10-12 hours)
- Start: September 18, 2017
- Modality: Online. Also available on campus in Amsterdam (English), and blended in Barcelona (Spanish)
- Language: English or Spanish
- Price: € 7,500.- Euros
- Payment methods: Payment by installments available
- Special conditions: Discount for alumni and members of related entities
- Enrollment: Registration open until the start of the Master
The program may be subject to change.
The institution reserves the right to cancel the edition of the program if it does not meet the minimum number of students.