- Qualification: Master in Sport Business at Johan Cruyff Institute
- Duration: 10 months. 60 ECTS (weekly dedication of 10 hours on campus + 5-6 hours online)
- Start: September 2023
- End: June 2024
On campus classes: Thursdays and Fridays from 3.30 pm to 8.30 pm
Johan Cruyff Institute and/or Casa de la Convalescència (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona - UAB). Barcelona - Spain
- Modality: Blended (in Barcelona)
- Language: English
- Price: € 890 Enrollment Fee + € 12,000 Tuition Fee + € 30 Registration Fee (The Registration fee is non-refundable)
- Payment methods: Payment by installments available
- Special conditions: Discount for alumni and members of partner entities
- Enrollment: Registration open until the start of the program. Limited seats available
The program may be subject to change.
The institution reserves the right to cancel the edition of the program if it does not meet the minimum number of students.
The sports industry already accounts for 1% of the world’s GDP and is one of the professional sectors with the highest economic growth. This fact has favored the creation of new professions and jobs, as well as a greater specialization in the management of companies. However, in an increasingly competitive and constantly changing market, it is necessary to have better prepared professionals. The professionalization of sport requires, therefore, a constant updating of knowledge as well as management specialists who are familiar not only with the most current tools for correct decision making, but also with the specifics of the sports sector.
The Master in Sport Business is a 10-month program that delves into the most important aspects of management applied to the sport business.
Classes with expert faculty closely linked to sport, are combined with master classes with exclusive guest lecturers from the world of sport management, outdoor visits (field trips) and a study trip that will enrich the experience you’ll have in Barcelona with your classmates, broadening your network of contacts in the sporting world. In addition, each module of the Master will include some hours online.
We have designed a master’s degree close to business reality, which offers you the vision to recognize business opportunities and anticipate changes. Prepare yourself to make the most of the resources of any company or sports organization.
These are the main objectives of the Master in Sport Business:
- To obtain a strategic vision of the sports industry from a business perspective.
- Create new market opportunities through entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Use the most innovative practices in sports marketing and develop effective branding and sponsorship strategies.
- Lead professional teams and obtain the best results from them.
- Interpret the financial statements of a sports organization and create financing strategies for new projects and ventures.
- Optimize the management of sports facilities and events.
- Understand and apply strategic, global, and objective vision to the sports industry from a business perspective.
- Create new market opportunities by applying an entrepreneurial spirit and a culture inclined towards innovation in sport organizations.
- Use the most innovative practices in sport marketing and be more effective in brand strategy and sponsorship execution.
- Detect the key factors to lead professional teams and obtain the best results.
- Interpret the financial statements of a sports organization and create financial strategies for new products and businesses.
- Optimize the management of a sports facility and sports event.
The Master in Sport Business is right for you, if:
- You’re an (ex) athlete looking for education and a degree in sport management to give your professional career a boost.
- You’re working in a business environment and want to specialize in the sports industry.
- You wish to complete your education with a Master specializing in the administration and management of sports.
People who have completed this Master are currently working in the areas of:
- Sports Competition (professional sports teams and event organizers).
- Governance (sports federations and associations).
- Sports Facilities and Events (championship organizers, sports clubs).
- Community Sports (foundations, government, municipalities).
- Sports Consulting (private business initiatives).
- Sports Journalism (private and public companies).
- Marketing and Sponsorship (private and public companies).
To be eligible for admission, you must meet one of the following requirements:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree, undergraduate diploma or the equivalent.
- Have at least 3 years experience in the area of sport management.
- Have developed a career as a professional athlete.
Please complete the pre-enrollment form if you are interested in studying this program. Your form will be submitted to the Admissions Committee, which will evaluate if your achievements as well as your aspirations and motivations in pursuing this Master, are in line with the objectives of the program. The admission procedure includes a personal interview with the Academic Manager. One of our academic consultants will contact you within 72 hours.
This master’s degree in Sport Business consists of 12 modules, distributed over two semesters, and a final project (MFP) that is carried out throughout the course. The entire structure of the program has been designed to meet the needs of today’s sports industry.
Both the approach and the level of demand, ensure that you will have the right knowledge and skills to guide your professional career in sport management.
- Introduction to sport marketing
- Defining the marketing strategy: differentiation
- Market segmentation, targets, positioning and value proposal
- Design and brand management
- Operational marketing: objectives
- Development and management of products/services in sport organizations
- Price, distribution and communication policy
- Marketing and communication 2.0 and social media
- Marketing plan
- Company strategy: origin and design
- The purpose of the company: mission, vision and values
- Strategic analysis: SWOT
- Positioning strategies based on external analysis
- Growth strategies
- Business plan: outline and strategy
GOVERNANCE IN SPORT
- Typologies of sports/games. What makes football & sport so unique? Key aspects
- Sport and globalization/imperialism/transculturation
- Liturgy and rituals in football. Sport and politics, propaganda, protests, debates and influences
- Sport’s governing bodies, including FIFA, as actors of international relations, as well as counter-models
- Main principles and practical realizations of sport for development (S4D) Presentation of excellent grassroots and elite initiatives
- Conclusions and way forward: the sustainability agenda, football and the United Nations SDGs. The greening of major sporting events
- The people management annual cycle
- Development. Performance evaluation
- Project management & talent identification
- Compensation and benefits & internal communication
- People management strategic plan
ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT IN SPORT ORGANIZATIONS
- Finance and sport management
- Interpretation of financial reports
- Analysis of financial statements
INVESTMENT AND FINANCING MECHANISMS
- Financial planning
- Structural finance
INNOVATION AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- Innovation: what are we referring to?
- Innovation strategies
- Innovative business models
- Organization of innovation
- Innovation and the customer
- Open innovation
- Main sources of revenue in a sports property
- Control of commercial rights
- Ticketing and Access to tickets
- Quality advertising impact
- Customer loyalty and measurement tools
- Return on advertising and sponsorship investment
SPORT FACILITY MANAGEMENT
- Urban planning of sport facilities
- Management models
- Management plan of a sport facility
SPORT EVENT MANAGEMENT
- Event types
- Organization models
- Event phases
- Economic management
- Event marketing
- Personnel & volunteers
- Risk management
- The sponsorship marketplace
- The sponsorship toolbox
- Managing and activating a sponsorship
- Introduction: objectives, structure and method
- Sport & the media: history
- Sport & media players: buyers, sellers & intermediaries
- Sport & media geography: description & particularities of the world’s main regions
- How does it work?
- Conclusion + overview of what the future might bring
- Management tools for the digital transformation of a sports organization
- The transition in the digital transformation of an organization
- Social networks as a basic communication tool
- Data management: Big Data and Smart Data
- Esports and its rol in the sports industry
- Future impact on digital transformation on the sports industry
- Master’s Degree Final Project
OUTDOOR ACTIVITIESThe program includes visits to sport facilities and entities that provide an on-the-ground and first-hand understanding of what management challenges are faced on a day-to-day basis, in the hands of active professionals.
DEGREEMaster in Sport Business from Johan Cruyff Institute.
Immerse yourself in an ecosystem designed to improve your performance: progress alongside professionals from the sports industry, with the constant assistance of a program manager, teachers who accompany and guide you, and a teaching team that has taken care of every detail of the master’s program.
Learning by doing
Learn theoretical concepts and quickly put them into practice while using the most innovative tools in sport management. By using Johan Cruyff Institute’s pedagogical model, you train “technique” and “tactics” through ‘learning by doing’, where the lived experience is the main source of knowledge.
Work on projects with people of different nationalities and professional backgrounds who share the same team spirit and passion for sport. Have fun, learn from your colleagues, share your points of view with them and participate together in debates that are as diverse as they are enriching.
Challenging business cases
Face real business challenges, tackling the challenges that companies in the sports sector face on a daily basis. Personally present your solutions to Johan Cruyff Institute and its partner companies, who challenge you with specific strategic problems.
Different learning environments
Imagine a master’s program that goes beyond the boundaries of the classroom. Thanks to technology, you will have access to the virtual campus, the e-learning platform that supports your academic progress and facilitates collaborative teamwork. Thanks to field trips and the international study trip, you will get to know different companies and sports organizations first-hand.
Make your studies compatible with your work and personal life: enjoy all the advantages and flexibility of online education without giving up the immersive and rewarding experience of face-to-face sessions.
Face-to-face and online classes are coordinated and run simultaneously throughout the course to achieve common objectives. The face-to-face classes are the backbone of the master’s degree and are held on Thursdays and Fridays afternoons. Based on this central axis, you will usually be asked to work on a series of contents and activities before and after each of these sessions. During the course, the teacher will set the work guidelines, the “training rhythm”, but you will manage your own time and dedication.
You never walk alone
During the classes, the teachers continuously monitor your progress and help you improve your performance. In face-to-face classes, you put theory into practice, but you also have access to theoretical webinars to reinforce your knowledge. When you use the resources of the digital platform, you are in contact with a teacher who can answer your questions at any time.
You are at the center
We accompany you, but we are demanding. We guide you, but you are responsible for your learning process. We prepare you, but in this race, you are the one who competes.
The Johan Cruyff Institute faculty is made up of professionals from the sports industry who know how to connect what they teach in the classroom with their experience in their day-to-day business. They do it through case-based teaching, simulations, workshops, forming interdisciplinary work teams and bringing the experience and practical reality of their work closer to you.
David Hidalgo is CEO at Grand Valira Soldeu Ski Resort, general manager of the Andorra 2027 World Ski Championships bid, and president of the Andorra Esports Cluster. He has extensive experience in the ski industry, resort planning and operations, organizing world-class sporting events and the management of tourism and leisure activities. David is a lecturer on programs in sport management and sport event organization, and is also an expert in finance, innovation and information technology.
|Jordi Viñas Fort
Jordi Viñas is a sports consultant, and CEO and founder of Itik Consulting Sport & Leisure. He holds a degree in physical activity sciences, a master’s degree in sport management from Loughborough University and an MBA from Esade. Jordi has been working for more than 20 years in the management of sports entities, both in the public and private sector, specializing in strategic planning and facility management. Jordi is a member of the Social and Educational Research Group on Physical Activity and Sport (GISEAFE).
|Roser de Puig
Roser de Puig is project manager of the institutional relations, public relations and protocol department of FC Barcelona, and has a degree in law and a master’s degree in sports law. Roser joined FC Barcelona in September 2021 after leading the organization of Euro 2020 in Seville within the Spanish Football Federation.
Martijn Bakx is a media rights manager at Mediapro. With over 20 years of experience, he currently oversees all international broadcasting rights sales for LaLiga. In addition to that, he is responsible for new sport-related media projects within the Mediapro Group.Martijn started in the sports business as a promoter of football and basketball games. In his role as executive producer, he was responsible for the European Basketball Championships in 2007 and the Euroleague Final Fours in 2009 and 2010. As a rights manager, Martijn strategically assesses business opportunities, from both the sales and the acquisition perspectives, for the domestic Spanish market as well as on a global scale. In recent years, in addition to his work for LaLiga, Martijn has started up ambitious media projects in Canada, France and Belgium.
|José Luis Beltrán
José Luis Beltrán is digital project manager at FC Barcelona and a specialist in fan engagement, digital strategy & analytics. In his position, he leads the communication and integration tasks between the commercial, marketing, operations and customer service departments from a technological perspective. He is also responsible for communication projects, negotiation and consensus in decision-making between business and technology, as well as the management of e-commerce and m-commerce projects.
Kepa Larumbe is director of the legal department of BDO in Spain. He is a specialist in sports law with extensive experience in managing litigation before sports governing bodies (Consejo Superior de Deportes and Tribunal Administrativo del Deporte), international arbitration bodies (Court of Arbitration for Sport based in Lausanne, Switzerland) and law courts in the areas of administrative, civil and labour litigation.
Mar Rotger is managing director at Grupo Arsenal. As head of business development, she is responsible for the definition and technical planning of sponsorship projects, the development of strategies and commercial operations, the optimization of resources and costs, and the activation of sponsorships and events organization. Prior to joining Grupo Arsenal, Mar was a project consultant at CA Sports, marketing and events manager at the Catalan Volleyball Federation and project management consultant at Aura Sports and Creativialab.
Verònica Riera is project manager at Advance Inspiring Social Innovation, a strategic consultant for projects linking the world of sport and the social sphere, and a university lecturer at Ramón Llull. With a master’s degree in sport management and a postgraduate degree in psychology, Verònica comes from the marketing and communication sector and has experience in the organization of sporting events. Verònica was previously director of the Sánchez Casal Academy in Florida for a period of three years, a consultant at Itik Consulting Sport & Leisure, and marketing & communication manager at I-Con Sports.
Bruno is General Manager at CE Sabadell FC SAD. He is also General Manager at Prime Time Sport.
|Dr. Jordi Moreno
Jordi Moreno is Learning Consultant at Ranstad.
|Dr. Marc Bernadich
Marc Bernadich is PhD in Business Entrepreneurship and Management. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.
Jesús is Director at WEARECENTRIC. Digital and Strategic Marketing Consultant. MSc Marketing and Sales Management. ESIC Business School.
Johan Cruyff Institute offers different services to enhance your employability, complete your education and improve your experience before, during and after your studies.
Every week we send you a newsletter with job offers from football clubs, companies and sports entities so that you can follow in detail how the job market is evolving in the sports industry and be the first to know about available job opportunities.
In addition, we have built a wide network of professional partners who are looking for talent and turn to us to fill their vacancies. Johan Cruyff Institute selects the best qualified profiles among its network of students according to their suitability.
Our students are well-trained candidates, able to bring a lot of value to companies and, therefore, perfect for integrating into their teams through the formula of professional internships. These internships are, in turn, an enriching learning experience, and through them you have the opportunity to live the reality of a sports organization and put into practice the knowledge you have acquired.
ALUMNI CRUYFF INSTITUTE
The Alumni Cruyff Institute digital platform allows the more than 9,000 students who have studied with us to maintain the links created during their studies, as well as to participate in webinars and training sessions, among other resources.
Connect to this network and get in touch with peers who share your interests and with former students working in companies and institutions around the world, while keeping the spirit of Johan Cruyff Institute alive.
If you are coming to study from outside Spain, we are here to help you. We will help you with the paperwork and provide you with information about accommodation, health insurance, currency and all the details you need to know to make your experience in Barcelona perfect.